Palau or Philipines? Been to Solomons and wonder if anything could beat that?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes! Kookaburra! I knew you'd help me out with that one Wingy.

After doing some research I'm starting to lean away from both Palau and Philippines, and towards Raj Ampat or Lembeh or crap I don't know. I'm overwhelmed.

We are doing Raja Ampat 6 months after our Solomons trip. Funny, I was thinking Komodo after that, booking into 2016. Only issue is that when we go back to Caribbean diving we will be ruined.

Last edited:
Palau and Indonesia (wakatobi) pretty hard to beat in my book. been to both of those twice. can stay at the palau pacific resort in palau and wakatobi, indonesia is land based. pic below from wakatobi.

P7203237-adj-trim-small.jpg

Bruce

Looked at Wakatobi, that is some serious $$$$$. Then again I priced out a 2bedroom villa as there is our son who needs his own room. I told my wife the price of that and it didn't even include the diving!! Ouch. Misool he has his own cottage and it wasn't outrageous. Bilikiki full rate for him might get his own room, Uepi got the family room and the Arenui gives us 40% for our son, nice. Ok we have to share a bunk but I'm sure we can get adult time during the day......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I prefer land-based, small groups. I don't care about night life. Probably would want to really explore one area rather than try to jump around a lot. I love cephalopods of all kinds, and still on my bucket list: Whale shark, Mola Mola, Mandarin fish, leafy sea dragon and lots of other stuff. But I get a kick out of pretty much every single breath I take under water regardless of what's in there. Thoughts?

Hi Frontiernurse

i've travelled to both Palau (land & liveaboard combo) and Philippines (land-based & liveaboard various trips and itineraries) so hope I can give some insight for you... though i see lots of really useful posts & alternative suggestions already. It is a little overwhelming but as you mention preferences perhaps this assists you?

Palau overview:
Several good land based operations; i tried Sam's Tours - found them to be professional, knowledgeable and a well run outfit. Our group had 6 divers to 1 guide though more people on the boat with other guides), boat rides to Blue Corner 45-60 mins and we got to take a speedboat tour through the Rock Islands on the return journey.
Hotels are very pricey - but you might find a cheaper apartment if you don't mind "no frills", our place was approx 60$ per night.
Eating out - similar prices and portion sizes to what i've experienced in the US. We paid around 50$per person for curry, rice & beer. There were more budget options at Sam's bar or Drop Off bar.
Predominantly big stuff - schools of reef sharks, jacks, snappers, barracuda, manta rays, bumphead parrotfish, turtles
There are some smaller critters including nudis & leaf fish.
Plenty of hard coral, large patches of cabbage coral, some sea fans. But the corals are not as vibrant as those found in Asia
Your Bucket list...
Cephalopods - can see squid and a few cuttlefish. Nautilus dive can be arranged but it is pricey (1 think about 150$)
Mandarin fish can be seen at 2 dive sites - outside Chandelier Cave or at Sam's Wall
Whale sharks very occasionally

Philippines overview:
So many islands to choose from, I prefer the Visayas region (cebu, bohol, negros) there are many land-based operators in each place but if you prefer not to jump around a lot then Dauin would be ideal. (I dived with Atmosphere Resort and Amontillado Resort both are well run, provide guides to small groups (4-6 people) Atmos is more expensive but worth it about 220$ per night incl. b'fast / Amontillado is cheaper about 180$ per night)
Eating out -both resort restaturants have a good range of food & price options.Philippines is cheaper by far than Palau and more choice / variety.
Predominantly critter diving. Don't expect to see huge schools of fish every where you go. You'll see loads of weird and wonderful crustaceans, benthic fish species, molluscs. (ghost pipefish, pygmy seahorses, frogfish, xeno crabs, candy crabs, sawblade shrimp, seamoths, leaf fish)
Corals are vibrant - particularly at Apo Island (a day trip from Dauin organised by the resorts). Excellent hard and soft corals, loads of turtles
Your bucket list...
Cephalopods- many different species of octopus can be seen - blue ring, wonderpus, mimic, common. crinoid cuttlefish and common cuttlefish
Mandarin fish - seen at several sites along the dauin coastal stretch - Atmosphere House Reef, Masapolod. Mandarin Fish dives are on the daily schedule
Whale sharks - take a day trip up to Oslob (1.5 hrs by car /short ferry) local resort will arrange for you. Its more organised than when the first sightings & public attention was on this area. Some feeding by local fisherman does take place but more than 65 different sharks have been identified and typically snorkelers will see 5-8 in a day's outing.

If you don't mind liveaboards and you are travelling between March & June then Tubbataha would be an excellent choice. Its only accessible by lob but will give big stuff (several shark species incl. hammerhead, schools of jacks, snapper & barracuda) hard & soft corals, sea fans, whale sharks, mandarin fish, turtles cephalopods and plenty of critters (though big stuff is the focus). You could also take lob in the Visayas to allow you to see more of the region without having to take buses /ferries between islands. (I dived with Philippine Siren & they offer a 10-night itinerary which includes malapascua, moalboal, dauin, apo, balicasag & Cabilao +oslob)

For leafy sea dragons - go to Sydney and dive The Steps, The Leap or the Pier.

Other SBers have mentioned Raja Ampat, Komodo and Lembeh - I've had the pleasure to dive all 3 ;-). In my view RA & Komodo are best done by liveaboard so you can get to more places and see more diverse sites / marine life. For Lembeh my choice would be Eco-Divers - they are a small resort (18-24 guests max) diving in small groups and as a solo traveller they are very inclusive. I went by myself and was really well looked after.

Hope this helps and happy diving!

Last edited:
Thanks nudisusie! I have to say this is one of the better threads I've read in a while. Thought about the Philippines too.

I saw a video on the Nautilus "dive" by Sam's. Unless it's something different now they lower a cage with a few frozen chickens down a few hundred feet, haul it up during the day, throw away the dead bycatch and let the divers play with the Nautilus like a toy. $$$ talk I guess. Funny how that video doesn't exist anymore....

We thought about Palau a few years back but never acted on the idea. There is also a private LOB in Palau too Eclipse - Palau Diving, Fishing, Kayaking, Snorkeling and Wreck Diving Tours

The poor nautilus is still living in a tiny filthy tank between ''dives'' in sabang. I understand why they take them inside at night ......felt like doing a commando raid and setting it free.

Back
Top Bottom