Trip Report Palm Beach County reefs Saturday June 17, 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Catito

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Dove with Pura Vida Divers (my regular operation). The water was flat, the current non-existent, the visability about 30 ft (better than the previous Sat with viz of 15 ft). Cpt Jason took us to two beautiful reefs because everyone showed up early, we took off early, and headed South (it is great when people show up early instead of at 8am when the boat is supposed to depart).

A couple of loggerheads, lots of really big green morays, and very fishy reefs. The high point of dive one was the white Frogfish my dive buddy, Elena, found at about 55Ft, perched on coral, looking like coral (see below—photos not great). On dive two we came across many pairs of Yellow Headed Jawfish and a pair of Blue Dartfish. We were hoping for a Hammerhead but no luck. Fun dive with PVD.

Attachments

• IMG_3650.jpeg
    IMG_3650.jpeg
    151 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_3648.jpeg
    IMG_3648.jpeg
    166.5 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_3656.jpeg
    IMG_3656.jpeg
    138.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_3657.jpeg
    IMG_3657.jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_3644.jpeg
    IMG_3644.jpeg
    164.3 KB · Views: 60
.. was the white Frogfish
That was really great eyesight to spot that! Very cool find.
Thanks for the conditions report, I'm back in the water this week for Lionfish.

Dove with Pura Vida Divers (my regular operation). The water was flat, the current non-existent, the visability about 30 ft (better than the previous Sat with viz of 15 ft). Cpt Jason took us to two beautiful reefs because everyone showed up early, we took off early, and headed South (it is great when people show up early instead of at 8am when the boat is supposed to depart).

A couple of loggerheads, lots of really big green morays, and very fishy reefs. The high point of dive one was the white Frogfish my dive buddy, Elena, found at about 55Ft, perched on coral, looking like coral (see below—photos not great). On dive two we came across many pairs of Yellow Headed Jawfish and a pair of Blue Dartfish. We were hoping for a Hammerhead but no luck. Fun dive with PVD.

@MrChen and I were on Marin Saturday morning. We did South Doubles and Corridor. We also had two great dives.

I was booked on Aurelia for the Sat afternoon trip but they ended up canceling both trips due to the severe storms moving into the area.

@MrChen and I were on Marin Saturday morning. We did South Doubles and Corridor. We also had two great dives.

I was booked on Aurelia for the Sat afternoon trip but they ended up canceling both trips due to the severe storms moving into the area.
Oh. Wish I was on the deep boat. Too bad about the p.m.. At least you had two nice morning dives. I did the deep dive the previous Saturday—including the Corridor. The viz was so bad we all overswam the second wreck and had to backtrack. Needless to say, did not see much. I considered it a good practice dive.

We were on the Aurelia this Saturday morning. All the way to Paul’s reef. Probably my favorite in the area.

A couple of loggerheads, lots of really big green morays, and very fishy reefs. The high point of dive one was the white Frogfish my dive buddy, Elena, found at about 55Ft, perched on coral, looking like coral (see below—photos not great). On dive two we came across many pairs of Yellow Headed Jawfish and a pair of Blue Dartfish. We were hoping for a Hammerhead but no luck. Fun dive with

Thanks for the conditions report, I'm back in the water this weekend for lionfish.
The water is supposed to be flat. Enjoy. Patrick caught six on Saturday on mid-reef.

My dive buddy spots all the odd creatures. I benefit from diving with her.

Oh. Wish I was on the deep boat. Too bad about the p.m.. At least you had two nice morning dives. I did the deep dive the previous Saturday—including the Corridor. The viz was so bad we all overswam the second wreck and had to backtrack. Needless to say, did not see much. I considered it a good practice dive.

We were on the Aurelia this Saturday morning. All the way to Paul’s reef. Probably my favorite in the area.
Oh wow, we barely missed you on Saturday! We followed up Saturday by diving Aurelia on Sunday morning. Went to Tear Drop and Flower Garden. Vis was 20-30ft, green and hazy. We saw lots of turtles. @Divin'Papaw said one was a green. We saw dolphins on the surface and one group had a turtle hanging out on the surface at the safety stop.

Thanks for the conditions report, I'm back in the water this week for Lionfish.
We saw 7 on South Doubles reef, but they were all small.

Oh wow, we barely missed you on Saturday! We followed up Saturday by diving Aurelia on Sunday morning. Went to Tear Drop and Flower Garden. Vis was 20-30ft, green and hazy. We saw lots of turtles. @Divin'Papaw said one was a green. We saw dolphins on the surface and one group had a turtle hanging out on the surface at the safety stop.

Here’s the large Green Turtle we saw Sunday. This was the first green that I’ve seen of the season. All the other mature turtles I’ve seen up to this point have been loggerheads. You don’t see it on the video but the turtle swims away shortly after I stopped the video and you could clearly tell it was a male.

The green turtles tend to nest in alternating years in Palm Beach Country. They are heavy one year, light the next and then heavy again the year after, and so on. If my memory serves me correctly, this should be a heavy year for green turtle nesting in Palm Beach County.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom