Panama, Bocas Del Toro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HDC

Registered
Reaction score
I'm traveling to Bocas Del Toro in Panama for work related trip but I'm wondering weather to take my Dive gear, I've checked the threads on this board related to Bocas. I understand its not world class diving, but has anyone been recently and can recomend a dive shop / sites to dive.
thanks
hc

You've heard correctly, it is not world class diving, but I'd still go for a dive or two. I was there in Jan. of 05 and dove out of Bocas Water Sports (next to the Blue Nasty Mermaid). There are some nice shallow dives off the East shores of the island of Solarte.

What does "world class diving" mean- New/good rentable gear/ nice boats/ good dive tour operators-english speaking?
or does "WCD" mean excellent reefs/ wildlife?
Also wondering about diving/partying, on either coast of Panama?
Thanks

Also dove with Bocas water sports. A good operation! It is definatly not world class. Even the owner told us " people dive for something to do when they are here,they dont come here for the diving". Bocas recieves a LOT of rain. Since there are many rivers in the nearby area,this vis can be highly variabale because of the runoff . Its worth diving if you are already going to be there but you may consider renting equiptment if you only plan on doing a couple dives instead of hauling a lot of
stuff with you. Its a great place to relax and hang out. Lots of topside things to do,very laid back. If you really want to see how the locals live,take the water Taxi to Alimarante. Its not for everyone,but it will give you some insights into what real life means for a lot of people in the area. enjoy yourself. I plan on going back someday

I am from Panama, and my wife and I go visit my family in Panama all the time. I have dove Bocas Del Toro 6 or so times. It definately rains a lot, if you can catch it during their summer (Dec~Feb) there is less rainfall.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom