Panama or Costa Rica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

touf

Reaction score
Hi, my girlfriend and I will be on a business trip in April in Panama, our flights back to the US go through Costa rica.
We are planning on spending a few days doing some diving and relaxing.
We are trying to decide between staying in Panama or going to Costa Rica.
We have been looking at some of the posts discussing Rich Coast, Ocotal etc...
Can t make up our minds but we need to decide ASAP in order to make reservations.
The planned dates are from 4/13 to 4/18.
As far as experience we are both beginners:
I just completed my OW last week and my girlfriend is 1 dive away from completing OW. She is planning on completing her certification during this trip so good instruction is a must.
Thanks in advance for the help.

It would depend on which airport you are flying into in Costa Rica. San Jose is quite a long bus ride if you only have a couple of days. However, Liberia is close. You could always take a flight from San Jose on Sansa air to the coast which is actually quite cheap. Costa Rica is a great country. I have never been to Panama, but some friends said they were a little uncomfortable there.

HI Touf,

We would love to have you over and dive with us!
It doesn't matter if you're a beginner, we dive in small groups so everything is comfortable for you.
Costa Rica has some nice diving. The visibility is not the greatest, but the fish make up for it!
You can enjoy the rays, puffers and if your lucky dolphins, manta's and sharks.
We have a great crew and well educated staff. we handel and stick to all the Padi standards. Be sure to bring the referral so we wil be able to finish your girlfriends course.
If you have any questions send an email to dive@richcoastdiving.com

talk to you later,
Brenda

My son lived in Panama last year and I can't wait to visit there - that would be my choice because it's much more interesting to me culturally. Everyone I've talked to has felt very safe traveling there as long as you avoid the dodgier bits of Panama City and Colon. You are flying to CA on one of the busiest weeks of the year - Semana Santa - so you may have trouble getting reservations, esp. at beachy places that interest locals as well as foreign visitors; perhaps availability will influence your decision. Have a great trip, whatever you decide!

Hi Touf,

Nice thing is, either choice can make you a winner.

Given the piece on diving Panama in the present (March) issue of Undercurrent, "Scuba Coiba, Santa Catalina, Panama;
— Virgin, Inexpensive, Pacific Diving," http://www.undercurrent.org/UCnow/UC200603_issue.shtml, I'd be much inclined to spend my time there.

The quality of CR diving along the Guanacaste coast (don't even think about the Caribbean side) varies much over the year & even over the week. It can be fun, but no guarantees. Also, it's no longer a bargain venue.

Have fun which ever you choose.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Doc, would you talk a little bit more about Coiba? its my next target for January ( i'll be in Palau Saturday - my prior plan to do Tubbatahareef failed )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom