Question Panglao / Southwest Bohol - Odette impacts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roxolana1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Considering a trip to Bohol, probably Panglao Island. I understand that Typhoon Odette was devastating.

Has the infrastructure been rebuilt sufficiently that it is a good place to visit again?

Were the reefs severely damaged?

I spent 3 weeks there in Sept/Oct. I only have ow so I couldn’t go to Pamilican Island. I dove most days at Balicasag. Also dove a bit at the Alona house reef and Doljo point. I had a great time.

It was my first time diving there so I don’t have comparison, but the dive operator said that a couple of the sites on Balicasag were wiped out by the typhoon. But there were 2 or 3 that were still great. The larger fish are gone because the locals had to survive off them for food during covid. But there are turtles and schools of Jack Fish and sardines, and the reef looks alive.

The Alona house reef looked a bit damaged to me, definitely not as much aquatic life as out at Balicasag.

Shore wise I can compare because I was there in 2019. Infrastructure is fine. A majority of tourists from China and Asia have not returned, some places have not reopened from the pandemic. But there are plenty of places to stay and eat and drink. Beach looks cleaner than 2019.

I am going back for a week in January to get my aow. Then going to take a ferry to Siquijor for a week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom