Panhandle Florida Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The prices are so high here because the dive sites are a lot farther off shore. In S. Florida, you can be on site in 5-10 minutes, do a dive, change locations to a shallower, closer to shore site, and be back before lunch. Here in the panhandle, it takes longer to get to the dive site and there aren't any shallower reef dives to do as a 2nd dive.

I also forgot about the USS Massachusetts, a WWI battleship that can be an excellent 2nd dive as it is so shallow. Great dive when conditions are right. Also out of Pensacola Pass.

Last edited:
dunno where the 100' viz was, but not out of panama city beach. I did 2 tanks on may 28th, maybe 30' crappy viz. Did 2 tanks at St Andrews jetties saturday, maybe 25' crappy viz.

100ft of viz is suspect. I've seen 80ft... maybe, probably more like 70ft once this year, and that was 25 miles offshore.

You're going to have a difficult time finding a dive charter going out midweek in the panhandle. There usually isn't enough interest.

There are a couple of boats that run Thursday trips out of Pensacola regularly this time of year.

I would also not even consider the Oriskany at this point in your diving. It is an advanced dive, even pushing the limits of being a recreational dive.

I agree with your first sentence, but disagree with the second part of your second sentence.

First, I'll argue that every offshore dive in our part of the Gulf of Mexico is an "advanced dive". This is due to depth, current, navigation issues and light/visibility. I'll add to that argument that Nitrox is a near-requirement for offshore dives too.

The Oriskany does not push the limits of being a recreational dive anymore than a basin with a cave system pushes those limits. There are overheads, and depth that exceed rec limits present there, but there aren't mermaids down there begging people to exceed 130ft, or stay beyond their gas or bottom times. I've seen scores of recreational divers not even break 100ft on this dive, in fact, I almost never see a diver at, much less below 120ft, unless they are wearing a rebreather or doubles. If people are too stupid to look at a depth gauge, then they're also too stupid to look at a pressure gauge. There's plenty to see shallower than 130ft.

It helps that it starts getting dark as you descend, this keeps most folks honest with their depth gauges.

The people killing themselves on the Oriskany are technical divers. I'm aware of three deaths associated with the Oriskany. Please correct me if I miss any:
  1. Gentleman had a heart attack on the way back to Pensacola (shouldn't even count
  2. Gentleman on a rebreather bent himself and died at the hospital
  3. Gentleman on a rebreather suffered a cascade of errors and circumstances that resulted in his unconsciousness at depth, a flooded unit, and an assisted ascent that likely resulted in an embolism

Not to say that recreational divers are paragons of safety and restraint though, there have been close calls to be sure, but I think the Oriskany has been painted in an unfair light.

If you want to kill a recreational diver in our part of the Gulf, give him a speargun, or tell him there is a lobster to find. Lots of folks with spearguns getting bent and/or coming very, very, close to killing themselves by dividing their attention.

I also forgot about the USS Massachusetts, a WWI battleship that can be an excellent 2nd dive as it is so shallow. Great dive when conditions are right. Also out of Pensacola Pass.

Most charters won't go to the Mass (I've seen one or two out there). You have to have Goldilocks tides to avoid current and visibility issues, plus, it's only 20ft, which means your divers are going to be down forever, even on an aluminum 80. One of my favorite spots though.

My comment has nothing to do with the fatalities on the Oriskany, so I'm not sure where you got that from.

Since the Oriskany has settled in, the shallowest part, the top of the tower, now sits at 85', which means to really see anything, divers must go deeper than that. To see much of the tower, dive depth must exceed 100'. And the flight deck now sits at 151', 21' deeper than recreational limits. Diving 32% allows a dive to 110' with an NDL of 17 minutes. With an average RMV of .8, a diver will need 70 cf to do that dive. That does not include any emergency reserve and leaves 400 psi in an AL80 filled to 3000 psi. Bring the depth up to 100' and the NDL is extended to 23 minutes, but now there's not enough gas to complete the dive for that .8 RMV diver. The AL80 will go empty before the safety stop even gets started. So let's change the profile a little. Let's put the diver at 100' for 10 minutes and 90' for 10 minutes. Again, that .8 RMV diver is only going to have 400 psi in an AL80 on return to the surface, so we don't even have to discuss the NDL this time. Let's hope there aren't any issues which delays the diver getting back to the surface because 400 psi isn't a lot, only about 7 cf. And I'm being pretty liberal here with the RMV. Many divers will actually have higher RMVs. 1.5-2 hour ride out to the site for 2 20-minute dives, then 1.5-2 hour ride back.

Hardly seems like a recreational dive to me. And hardly seems worthwhile at the recreational level.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying it's not a good dive. The Oriskany is a great dive...with the appropriate training.

Rob,

Most of the dive spots with viz over 4ft are in 85ft or deeper water. The recreational divers killing themselves around here are not doing it on the Oriskany, they're doing it on beach dives, spearfishing trips, or because they are out of shape and have a medical at depth, or on the surface after a dive. The folks getting bent or going OOA (that we know about) are almost always spearfishing or lobstering.

I agree that 80cft is not enough gas to justify the trip (for me at least). I've always dove it with 100's or 120's, and always a leaner mix, but none of that is rocket science. The best advice I'd give to anyone diving the Gulf is to get a steel 100 and learn how to dive with it.

For midweek diving in PCB, call Capt. John Lutzny @ 8506283483. His boat Better Bottom Time will go out with just a few people. Wayward, if I remember correctly, Pat's boat "steel slinger" is tied up with navy to end of month and they haven't gotten the 6 pack ready yet.

Is it 80 for an inshore dive with two tanks included? Are you going out Monday or Tuesday afternoon?
I agree dive-aholic, upon checkg the oriskany out it is well beyond my skills at this point, however it looks amazing and maybe within a year if I keep army current dive pace I will be back on another trip and dive it then.
The prices have shocked me a little bit...maybe it is just the area or that I am spoiled in s Florida with two tank dives for 75 bucks but if someone could choose one of the best areas with best reef diving or best 80 foot and shallower wreck diving that would be great. Thank you!

You'll have to call the shop. It's not mine, it's a shop in PCB that I like to dive with. Pat will run any day of the week that conditions allow & he has enough people to make a trip.

Rob,

Most of the dive spots with viz over 4ft are in 85ft or deeper water. The recreational divers killing themselves around here are not doing it on the Oriskany, they're doing it on beach dives, spearfishing trips, or because they are out of shape and have a medical at depth, or on the surface after a dive. The folks getting bent or going OOA (that we know about) are almost always spearfishing or lobstering.

I agree that 80cft is not enough gas to justify the trip (for me at least). I've always dove it with 100's or 120's, and always a leaner mix, but none of that is rocket science. The best advice I'd give to anyone diving the Gulf is to get a steel 100 and learn how to dive with it.

You still missed my point. It has nothing to do with divers killing themselves or getting bent. That isn't what makes a dive more advanced than recreational. Even with a larger cylinder, a leaner mix limits your NDL. Sure, you have more gas and are at least practicing better gas planning, but the dive is still limited to 20 minutes.

No matter what type of diving I'm doing, I want to spend time under the water. Donning gear to do a 20 minute dive doesn't make sense to me. Even before I started diving caves and doing decompression dives, I always preferred to stay on the dive as long as I could. Most of my dives since my OW certification have been close to or more than an hour. I'd rather spend an hour on a shallow reef than 17 minutes on the tower of the Oriskany. That being said, I'd rather spend an hour on the tower of the Oriskany along with the required decompression than spend it on a shallow reef.

"limits of being a recreational dive" = limited to a short bottom time because of gas and ndl limitations ???

If that's your point, I agree, but again, almost everything diveable in the Gulf is 80+ft

Back
Top Bottom