Panic Attack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I, too, have had a couple of panic issues. Once it was that the group I was diving with was swimming much faster than me and got out of sight (shame on them). I was short on breath (from trying to keep up) and I got panicky. But, I was able to slow my breathing down, and finally surfaced slowly. The others finally did as well and we could continue the dive, though they slowed down a bit. I've also had a little trouble with long surface swims in cold water (as my wetsuit and hood were tight) and have to rest before going down because of panic-type feelings. However, I've found that when I'm frequently practicing yoga and concentrating on my breathing during my practice there, I do much better. Also, my dive buddy is completely apprised of my sometimes apprehension so we can deal with it together.

Grajan:
Sounds crazy but I've seen this type of response induced by too much caffeine in the system. We now have a personal rule - no caffeine before diving. It seems to help.

I have heard of Sudafed (or its equivalent) also causing this type of problem too.

Did you take anything pre-dive?

Kestrell:
I have heard of Sudafed (or its equivalent) also causing this type of problem too.

Did you take anything pre-dive?

Just read your other post where you said you took an antipiotic.

While you could have just paniced, it is also possible that you had a reaction to the meddicine. Drug companies obviously don't test their drugs at depth, so there is no telling what effect a drug will have on you when diving.

While I don't know anything about the particular drug you took, there seems to be some pretty credible reports of Sudafed causing some problems with some divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom