Paper Logs v Computer Logs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A friend of mine went on an Earthwatch expedition and was required to submit 20 VERIFIED (DM or buddy signature included!) logbook pages as part of her application.

The aquarium diving volunteer program I'm applying for next month wants me to submit xeroxed copies of the last TWO YEARS of my logbook pages. Now I have to go back and transfer over 100 dives from my computer to paper, so I have something to show.

I keep my log in the SUUNTO dive manager software, but I'm not always good about writing in dive site names, weather, and other details. I keep xeroxed copies of the scan forms that I submit to REEF with my fish count data, so I will be able to reconstruct the last year of diving fairly easily. It's just going to be a pain.

I'm resolved to keep up myu logbook from now on so this doesn't happen again.

Hey Gang,

Am I missing something? I thought it was fairly standard for most all divers to log each of their dives. I log my dives pretty much for the opportunity to look back and see where I've been, and the neat and exciting things I've seen. If I'm not flying or diving, I'm thinking about it!

Cheers,

I log both, paper and electronic files. On paper i can attach business cards, drawings or maps and if im on a trip, a prices, and hotels, information. It is usefull if you plan to go back to the same place.
On the pc log book, every 3 or 4 weeks i update the site details, buddy names, sea life, and highlights of the dive. etc.. log book is a very personal matter.

I use both the paper log and the computer generated one. I like the paper log to carry, getting dive info that isn't one the electronically produced one. How much weight did you use with what exposure protection, If you met a good buddy exchange names/emails for later communication. I also like to write down the details of the dive, ie; things we saw, reef condition and the like while it's still fresh in the mind.

After I get home I download the Vyper and then add to the log from the paper one. This way I've got two copies of the info "just in case" Mr. Murphy want to play.....

agstreet:
Don't dive with idiot instructors that insist on signing your log (other than during your initial OW class).

AS an "idiot Instructor" I do not insist on signing or loging any dive.
It's a personal record or diary.

I do have people ask me to sign theirs and I have asked DM's on dive trips to sign mine.On my last trip to Coz I dove with a DM/Instructor who said he only logs when something REALLY BAD happens.

I did have him sign my logbook on a dive that was special to me ,personally.Nobody else.

I do a lot of loging when I am teaching.It's a personal thing.The instructor I work with no longer logs dives. We sign students records but as I stated it's a personal thing to log.

I like details such as weight used with what suit I am wearing on a particular dive. Yes I have many different thicknesses of wetsuits and three different drysuits. Warm water , coldwater,favorite suit.....

Ron

I log in Dive Manager if I have my Vytec with me.

If I'm diving with the Vyper (I have one of those too) its in gauge mode and I usually DON'T log those. At all. Those are typically deco dives that were done the day before (or after) a dive I was doing as an NDL dive and my Vytec won't let me change modes.

Anyone who asked me for "verified" logs would have a problem since about 50% of my dives are intentionally solo (e.g. I jump in alone) and a whole lot more are effectively solo (I jump in with someone but we both know full well that we're not playing buddy.)

SDN has enough data available to work for me in terms of being able to go back and look at weighting, gear used, gas consumption, etc.

Genesis:
I log in Dive Manager if I have my Vytec with me.

If I'm diving with the Vyper (I have one of those too) its in gauge mode and I usually DON'T log those. At all. Those are typically deco dives that were done the day before (or after) a dive I was doing as an NDL dive and my Vytec won't let me change modes.

Anyone who asked me for "verified" logs would have a problem since about 50% of my dives are intentionally solo (e.g. I jump in alone) and a whole lot more are effectively solo (I jump in with someone but we both know full well that we're not playing buddy.)

SDN has enough data available to work for me in terms of being able to go back and look at weighting, gear used, gas consumption, etc.

OK
I have a stinger.
The second last paragraph.....50% of my dives are effectively solo....
Ya,gota agree,thats one of the reasions I say it's a personal diary.

Ron

I take a Palm PDA with me on dive day. I fill in the dive details, whom, where, and with what, tank info, buddy, etc. Not much detail. Then later I download from my Vyper, review the PDA and annotate the divelog info. Then print. I find that if I don't use the PDA I forget alot. Since I dive almost every week without the PDA I'm at a loss to remember everything.

metaldector:
I take a Palm PDA with me on dive day. I fill in the dive details, whom, where, and with what, tank info, buddy, etc. Not much detail. Then later I download from my Vyper, review the PDA and annotate the divelog info. Then print. I find that if I don't use the PDA I forget alot. Since I dive almost every week without the PDA I'm at a loss to remember everything.

Tell me more
Gone on a trip with it ?
What program are you using ?

Ron

I started diving in 1993 and logged all my dives in a paper logbook. After I filled up 5 books with 48 dives apiece, I stopped because I was just "diving for fun". 10 years later, I want to take my DM course and have nothing to show. I bought myself a Stinger for Xmas so I do not have to fill in any paper. Still lazy, I guess.

I do regret not logging all my dives because I have no idea how many I've made. Must be about a 1000 by now. Would be nice to know for sure.

BTW, does anybody know any good software for the Stinger that works on a Mac?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom