Paper Logs v Computer Logs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use SharkPoint for Palm, and probably in the near future SharkPoint for PocketPC when I got my new PocketPC. It's very fast and simple to log your dives in the your PDA and print it later on paper.
DreamDives is working on direct data transfer features for PDA and Dive computer. Now they already offer indirect dive computer data transfer via the Windows version and dive computer. Just great.

See the site by DreamDives (http://www.dreamdives.org)

Frank

I use both. The Suunto Dive Manager works great for downloading the dives from my Cobra. That is my main log. I keep the paper log with just the basics (diving with a computer I am usually off the RDP, nothing like putting in an R++ for your ending pressure group) along with the basics I get a buddy or instructor to sign the logs for record. Never know what it might be needed for. I can always go and print the logs from the SDM for more detailed information.

Genesis:
I log in Dive Manager if I have my Vytec with me.

Anyone who asked me for "verified" logs would have a problem since about 50% of my dives are intentionally solo (e.g. I jump in alone) and a whole lot more are effectively solo (I jump in with someone but we both know full well that we're not playing buddy.)

SDN has enough data available to work for me in terms of being able to go back and look at weighting, gear used, gas consumption, etc.

This "verified" dives issue is probably a problem with 99.9% of divers with more than 20 dives to their name. I haven't had a dive signed since 1990 (according to my written logbook). I suppose one could say that all my dives downloaded from the Vyper, could be someone else. But then who am I cheating? Only me!!

Naah, a logbook is only very a personal record of what happened in my diving career. I log what I saw, did, wore, and who with. I even log all the screwups I might have made. I used to use a paper system until I bought the vyper, and then painstakingly transferred it all to SDM. Now I log everything on SDM.

Anyway, someone with 400 logged, verified dives, could still be a crappy diver. That being said I believe I am still a crappy diver :) Relative to perfection that is. With that philosophy there is ALWAYS something more to learn, more to improve on (but then I'm moving off the topic)....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom