Parking at Fonatur Marina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looking at the streetview on Google, doesn't look like great options for parking on the highway either?

Couple questions, kinda hijacking this thread, but you seem like a cool crowd:

1. My kids (16 and 17) and I are getting certified for OW next month here in San Diego. Cozumel in late March will be our first dives outside certification. Reasonable to do as newbies? Planning to use Dive with Martin, using their equipment, bringing only our own masks and fins. Will see how certification and these dives in Cozumel go before we start buying our own equipment. Reasonable equipment plan for newbies?

2. Was planning on doing morning dives. Kids aren't the best morning peeps (teens huh?), so getting to the Marina at 710am is going to be hard, especially if we have to park outside. We are staying near Hotel B, will have a rental car. Do you think afternoons might be better? If needed, the wife can drop us off and pick us up, but that morning one is a no go for momma on vacation.

Thanks all!

but you seem like a cool crowd:
You are a newbie here so hopefully the "... cool crowd..." will be easy on you! This forum is not known for being the most uh .... friendly.
1. My kids (16 and 17) and I are getting certified for OW next month here in San Diego. Cozumel in late March will be our first dives outside certification. Reasonable to do as newbies? Planning to use Dive with Martin, using their equipment, bringing only our own masks and fins. Will see how certification and these dives in Cozumel go before we start buying our own equipment. Reasonable equipment plan for newbies?
Good plan, rent gear for awhile until you find what works best for you guys. Using your own mask/fins is a wise choice. Maybe the next purchase should be a regulator. Most of the quality dive ops in Coz have decent to good rental stuff. The current can sometimes be a challenge in Coz but as newbies they will probably keep you in areas with less current. Although most teenagers seem to pick-up things quickly and may prefer the current after the first few dives.
2. Was planning on doing morning dives. Kids aren't the best morning peeps (teens huh?), so getting to the Marina at 710am is going to be hard, especially if we have to park outside. We are staying near Hotel B, will have a rental car. Do you think afternoons might be better? If needed, the wife can drop us off and pick us up, but that morning one is a no go for momma on vacation.
You could go with another Dive OP, mine goes out at 9:00. Although I think DWM offers free rental gear so going elsewhere may cost more. There are not as many Dive Ops that do afternoon dives but it is definitely an option. Most leave at 2ish so you'd get back to the marina at 6ish.

Thanks sefuchs! I thought I didn't have the ability to start my own Thread, but i did find the button, so will do so the next time.

I think as long as I promise not to stand on the bottom, I will be safe from the mean peeps!

Thanks sefuchs! I thought I didn't have the ability to start my own Thread, but i did find the button, so will do so the next time.

I think as long as I promise not to stand on the bottom, I will be safe from the mean peeps!
A rental car and the Fonatur Marina are a bit of a bad match; parking is going to be problematic, and having to deal with it before a boat departure deadline could lead to a very stressful morning.

A rental car and the Fonatur Marina are a bit of a bad match; parking is going to be problematic, and having to deal with it before a boat departure deadline could lead to a very stressful morning.
Sounds like it. Might be best to get a taxi, if only there was a thread on taxi prices... :0

A new year brings new changes. The parking situation is different now compared to the way it was done up to Dec. When you arrive through the security gate, you will see no parking on the road that leads up to the marina. You will also see virtually no vehicles at the boat launch area. You drop off equipment and have to leave to park either on the main highway or on the road that is to the right of the area where the taxis drop off. There has been a change in who controls the agency at marina and was federal but has been given to the state to run now. Always something at the world class marina. :rant::rant::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:🤡🤡

Un freaking real - glad I'm gone or I'd be booted from the marina if not in jail.

Welcome to Mexico, let's count the ways we don't want you here....

Looking at the streetview on Google, doesn't look like great options for parking on the highway either?

Couple questions, kinda hijacking this thread, but you seem like a cool crowd:

Thanks all!
There is a Marina in the north, not too far from Hotel B, called Puerto de Abrigo which might be a better option. You might even be able to walk there. There are a few dive ops that leave form that marina. We dove with one, Salty Endeavors, last summer. I think we went out around 7:45 am and it was a quick taxi ride to the marina from our hotel up north. They also do daily afternoon trips. You do have to pay extra for gear rental, but I found the prices to be very competitive. I was diving with my 18 year old daughter, and our private dm, Freddie, took really great care of us.
Other dive ops that I’ve heard also operate up north are: Chili Charters, Pepe Scuba. You could also look into those.

Back
Top Bottom