Parking rental scooter at Fonatur

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KapitanSparrow

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello. Are there any concerns with parking a rental scooter at Fonatur marina? Theft, parking fees, etc.? I am looking at a scooter as my best way to get around the island, including to the dive boat at the marina. Thank you for your input.

There is no fee to enter Fonatur marina. I park my car there with no fee. Scooters should be the same.
As for theft, I wouldn't leave anything behind with it that you couldn't afford to lose. Same as everywhere else. I have not heard of any scooter thefts and there are many parked there - I may not be in the right info loops tho. You will be stopped at the gate to give name, boat/embarcation, and they will record the license plate. They don't log anything going out.

The most common means of securing a scooter is to run a cable lock through one of the rims. If you haven't already arrived, it's little heavy, but doesn't take up much space to pack.

If somebody stole a scooter every day from Fonatur your odds would still be pretty good. They park a bunch of scooters there.

If somebody stole a scooter every day from Fonatur your odds would still be pretty good. They park a bunch of scooters there.

Amen to that

I would think the largest risk would be A) renting a scooter in the first place, and B) riding that scooter around Cozumel. Both would far eclipse the real of getting it jack from the marina.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom