Part-time Job

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

idratherbedivin

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am going to be going to college soon enough and I am looking at possible part-time jobs to help pay off the tuition, have some spending money, and/or party. Since I love diving, logically the first job I have been looking into is becoming a dive master and eventually an assistant or open water instructor. I have seen on some of the boards that these are very low paying jobs to live on but does anyone have opinions on whether these jobs would be good part time jobs for college?

If you actually want a job to make "money" you are looking in the wrong places. But oooooo its fun.

Happy Diving

Thanks for the input. I dont know how to go about trying to find this out but would the money that would be missed by taking the low paying job be made up in discounts if i decided to dive a lot?

A poor college student might find that the cost of the courses needed to reach the DM (or more employable Instructor) levels might be prohibitive. I encourage you to pursue what you want, but it could take quite some time to earn back those course fees.

It may be a better idea to try to get a job working at a local shop as a salesman, etc. If there are any local shops looking for help. It probably wouldn't pay alot but it may be worth it to work around something you enjoy. You would avoid the course fees and insurance costs and may still get discounts on air/equipment.

Go to the nearest harbor and try and get a job cleaning boat hulls. Its not glamarous but it is making money diving. The work is hard but you get in great shape and you are in the water all of the time. You could work it to go along with your school scheldule and all you need is an OW cert.

GTB
www.seawolvesunltd.com
www.gonetobaja.com
www.spearfishingvideos.com

I am on the south side of the bay but I have summer work available cleaning hull's and doing light maintenance. Money is good and job is fun. PM me if interested. Chuck

I am with Drew Sailbum in saying that the costs of the DM and IDC would be as much as you could expect to make in 4 years working Part Time. Cleaning boats isnt a bad idea but that would be more snuba than scuba.
I can tell you what I did to support myself through college and law school. I raised and bred tropical fish and sold them to pet shops around town. If you research a little to find which ones you can sell at a high price, you will find you can do OK. Not great, but ok.
It aint diving but it is admiring fish, we are just outside looking in instead of inside with the critters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom