Parts for life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaBadger32

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I really want analog gauges, and don’t even want a computer from Scubapro, but I want the parts for life. Is it at all possible to buy like the 3 gauge inline and and not buy a computer? My other idea was just buy a computer and sell it, take a small loss. Any help would be great thanks!

I really want analog gauges, and don’t even want a computer from Scubapro, but I want the parts for life. Is it at all possible to buy like the 3 gauge inline and and not buy a computer? My other idea was just buy a computer and sell it, take a small loss. Any help would be great thanks!

I don't think Scubapro has been active in this forum for a long time.

I don't think Scubapro has been active in this forum for a long time.
More or less asking people with experience, never have any assumption they would repsond. Thanks though!

You might want to go to the regulator forum and ask there, or one the report button and ask a mod to move the thread to there,
The parts for life plan would not be worth it to me, because it requires one to buy gear they may not want, and service the reg more often than necessary.

More or less asking people with experience, never have any assumption they would repsond. Thanks though!

Fair enough, though I could caution a question of swapping items on a parts for life purchase could only be reliably answered the contacting the manufacturer.

Parts for life programs come with plenty of fine print, and they also do not include labor. I would not want to be boxed into purchasing 3 big items from one manufacturer to save about 60 bucks on a service, but that's just me. I'm sure there are as many people that are content with the arrangement, though.

As Bob noted, these programs require servicing much more frequent than necessary. It also prevents you from picking and choosing gear that you want/need from different manufacturers.

Fair enough, though I could caution a question of swapping items on a parts for life purchase could only be reliably answered the contacting the manufacturer.

Parts for life programs come with plenty of fine print, and they also do not include labor. I would not want to be boxed into purchasing 3 big items from one manufacturer to save about 60 bucks on a service, but that's just me. I'm sure there are as many people that are content with the arrangement, though.

As Bob noted, these programs require servicing much more frequent than necessary. It also prevents you from picking and choosing gear that you want/need from different manufacturers.
Looking closer, SP says 24 months!

Looking closer, SP says 24 months!

Or 100 dives. If you are late, you'll lose the parts for life. You also must have service at an authorized center, so if your reg has a problem while on a trip and pay for a tune-up, that will not be counted. Worse than a car warranty, in my opinion.

I didn't see any mention of it, but are you also expected to service the bcd and computer at their interval?

The free parts for life are not free. You pay for them on the front end when you pay twice or three times for one of these regs as you would for a reg of similar quality and performance from another mfg.
You are also locked into getting them serviced whether they need it or not. Labor is not included and I have seen some shops charge as much for labor as I do for a full service with parts added on the brands I do.
As was already noted, if you are late or forget to have them done, you are kicked out of the program. I know a couple people who got burned by this because they didn't use their regs during covid and didn't think of the service interval.
Also, not every component needs serviced at an interval set by the mfg. It's not uncommon for 1st stages used recreationally to go 3-4 years without needing to be rebuilt.
2nd stage seats are softer and a number of people don't store them properly so they might need a new seat.
There are $200 1st stages that perform as well and are as reliable as a SP mk25 that sells for more than double the price and don't lock you into programs designed to benefit the dealer over the user.

Back
Top Bottom