passed test and got sign offs today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:colouredsmilies: Welcome to ScubaBoard! :colouredsmilies: Congrats on getting your sign-offs done. I commend you on being able to recognize what is going wrong with your skills in water, now you just have to work on not letting past things bother you! :)
I want to be a good safe diver... so learning what I should be doing instead of staying frustrated is important. find error fix it and move on. right?

And as far as getting everything right goes...

I've been known to put my dive skin on inside out and backwards and not bother to fix it... we'll get along just fine! In other words, I dive on a "what happens on the dive stays on the dive" philosophy- as do most folks I know- you may get a constructive critique if you want one- and no one I dive with would let you miss something that might put your safety (or others') at risk, but no one will dog you for meaningless mistakes!

Welcome to the pond!

Thanks! I have already gotten some good ideas on how to rememdy this problem.. I will be trying them to get this down. I have approx 8 wks till ow to get all of this under control and practice all that I need to.

Congrat's. As you said earlier...remember this is a new experience for you, and just like any other sport, you are not going to be "perfect" the first time around. Don't put the pressure on yourself to be perfect, and it will come a lot easier to you.

Congrat's. As you said earlier...remember this is a new experience for you, and just like any other sport, you are not going to be "perfect" the first time around. Don't put the pressure on yourself to be perfect, and it will come a lot easier to you.
I think that is key! I am quite a perfectionist in much of what i do.

Ok as for my issue, I have been doing some searching around and have found several good suggestions... I have combinded some and come up with the follow crazy scheme:

First off, I tried part of Walter's idea.. (ie: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...diving/223091-ideas-taking-your-mask-off.html post #2) but in the bath tub instead. I put my face down in the water without any gear and just held my breath there underwater with eye opened... ok this was working. stayed there until the air bubbles ran out.

Then put snorkle in mouth and did the same process, breathing through snorkle... felt some water seeping into nose. Tucked chin into chest and then blew out 3/4 of exhale through nose, then rest through snorkle. ok water was leaving nose ... tried a few more times and got most of water from nose.

Tried process again with mask on but did not use strap. duh no problems. Then I filled mask with water and just stayed like that for a while. Ok this too is ok. So then i let mask fall off to the bottom of the tub and immediately tuck chin into chest and blew out of nose the same as before... repeated nose exhales a few times... started to feel better... put mask back on with no strap again and cleared.. created small bit of mask pinch when i raised head... ok with that at the moment.. it actually helped me finished clearing nose water... k, then took care of mask pinch all was good again. :>

Did this repeatedly.. and now almost think I could do it in a public place without hacking and coughing. <grin>

Will try same process in a pool next. Then will try swimming with no mask across the pool and back and then replace mask... will let you know how that works out.

Ok new I have tried these things in the pool. I went pretty slow with it, but it went pretty good. I Also tried swimming with goggles instead of a full mask, which worked out pretty well... then I swam the length of the pool a few times without eye protection... The I worked with the mask... flooded it, let it fall off and then replace it and cleared.. I also flooded the mask and swam with it that way... And other variations where I would swim without any mask holding it while swimming the length of the pool, then putting it on (all underwater) and clearing and then swimming back with it on. Seems to be working pretty good.

I would say I am on my way to getting this down. Very pleased with myself today! :>

Next stop... try in 5' water with a reg and then 10' (which is where i freaked out before)

Ok another update.... I have success! I was able to take off my mask in the shallow and in the 12' (not 10' as I thought) had no problems using the techniques I have been using. Finally one less thing I have to conquer! Now I am just continuing to practice all that I have learned.

I will be in good shape for May!

OK know it has been quite a while... but I did manage to get everything completed.. got my cert done July 27th! This problem is now officially concerned. Like second nature now :>

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom