Passing Jump lines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you can clearly see the spool at the other end of the line, there's no need to mark it as a nav decision because it will be super obvious if you make a wrong turn on the way back and come to the spool. However, if there is ever ANY doubt, there's no issue with dropping a cookie on your exit side of the junction, your non-directional markers don't impact other teams in any way.

The only time I have dropped a cookie marking someone else's jump line was when their jump arrow was pointing in the opposite direction of my exit. So in that case, I figured it added a bit of clarity for the return; if the jump line was still there, I would have confirmation of my exit direction in conflict with the arrow; if not, then just a lonely cookie on the line, no big deal. And I made a note of it on my slate.

I don't think I've ever encountered a jump line that I could have mistaken for a T. The lines so different, and Ts in Mexico are typically line-to-line connections with system arrows a foot or so from the actual line junction. A jump, of course, is tied into an arrow or a REM.

The only time I have dropped a cookie marking someone else's jump line was when their jump arrow was pointing in the opposite direction of my exit. So in that case, I figured it added a bit of clarity for the return; if the jump line was still there, I would have confirmation of my exit direction in conflict with the arrow; if not, then just a lonely cookie on the line, no big deal. And I made a note of it on my slate.

I don't think I've ever encountered a jump line that I could have mistaken for a T. The lines so different, and Ts in Mexico are typically line-to-line connections with system arrows a foot or so from the actual line junction. A jump, of course, is tied into an arrow or a REM.
I had the opposite. A t that we thought was a jump line in ressel. In France they go nuts with their lines. Multiple different colors and types of lines with t’s and line placements that make no sense. There is a circuit in ressel with a shallower and deeper sides. On the way in on the white line we saw a bright yellow line behind a rock poorly attached to our mainline. It very clearly appeared to be a poorly placed jump. On the way out it looked different. All of the yellow lime was attached to the rock and then attached It had more white line coming from it. Of course we didn’t see the yellow part and it appeared we were following the right line. About 5 minutes later we realized we were in the slightly deeper section instead of where we came from.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Thread reopened. Please remember that personal attacks are not permitted. Off-topic posts should be reported. Thanks.

Thanks everyone for all the replies! I'm taking Full Cave in October and have been thinking about all the different navigation scenarios I might encounter. This was really helpful.

Thanks everyone for all the replies! I'm taking Full Cave in October and have been thinking about all the different navigation scenarios I might encounter. This was really helpful.
You'll learn all that you will need to know in class so relax and try not to overthink things. Just ALWAYS follow the "5 Rules" to the letter of the law. Always. No exceptions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom