Pat hammer withdraws support for petition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cerich

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
DEMA is GOOD for the dive industry - What's happening is WRONG!

The following is from Patrick Hammer of Scuba Emporium/Our World Underwater in reference to the recent initiative by www.UnifiedDiveIndustry.com

You would think after devoting 40 years to the dive industry I would have a strong feel on the industry and shareholders. It has come to my attention with the SDRG (www.UnifiedDiveIndustry.com) movement that there might be some undermining reasons to get more dive stores involved in this movement that I could have ever imagined.

One of the causes of the movement that attracted my attention was the strong support for dive retailers. As a retailer I know how much help we need with this down economy but I’m unsure if this is the direction we need to take. I am now questioning whether the movement against “Be A Diver” campaign is just, and it tries to diminish the value of the Delta Airline Campaign, which is actually one of best promotions DEMA has done to reach tens of thousands of consumers.

I know another part of SDRG was to address the term limits of the DEMA Board. Considering all board minutes are available to all DEMA members, I found it interesting after looking into this that the by-laws amendment took place and the process was approved by one of the past board members leading this movement. I strongly agree that the DEMA Board terms should be two 2-year limits only. New blood is paramount to the success of any operation. I would like the board to reconsider term limits. Another reason for my reconsideration of my direction was that, different than what I was told, the by-law amendment information was presented to all members of DEMA three times in July- of 2008, and the ballot information itself was presented five times after.

I originally backed this movement because of the voting process to go with one company one vote. I have since learned that many so-called professionals in our industry are not paying their dues for membership. Votes are determined by company gross sales and the revenue and dues category that puts them in. When a company under-reports (or doesn’t report at all) their gross sales, and pays less dues, they are limited to their voting power. If a company were to pay their proper dues, they would definitely have the votes needed to voice their opinion.

It is for this reason I wish to have Scuba Emporium, Our World-Underwater and Patrick Hammer removed from the petition and any movement that goes against DEMA. I will join any effort that assures a face to face meeting with the DEMA board to help improve the industry.

Patrick Hammer, October 26, 2009

My comments to Pats in RED

The following is from Patrick Hammer of Scuba Emporium/Our World Underwater in reference to the recent initiative by www.UnifiedDiveIndustry.com

You would think after devoting 40 years to the dive industry I would have a strong feel on the industry and shareholders. It has come to my attention with the SDRG (www.UnifiedDiveIndustry.com) movement that there might be some undermining reasons to get more dive stores involved in this movement that I could have ever imagined.

One of the causes of the movement that attracted my attention was the strong support for dive retailers. As a retailer I know how much help we need with this down economy but I’m unsure if this is the direction we need to take. I am now questioning whether the movement against “Be A Diver” campaign is just, and it tries to diminish the value of the Delta Airline Campaign, which is actually one of best promotions DEMA has done to reach tens of thousands of consumers. The issue is not the value of the commercial, it is that the industry association participated knowing that only BOD members companies would be also participating. DEMA as a member organization should be fighting to make sure the entire industry had the opportunity to participate. It looks quite bad.

I know another part of SDRG was to address the term limits of the DEMA Board. Considering all board minutes are available to all DEMA members, I found it interesting after looking into this that the by-laws amendment took place and the process was approved by one of the past board members leading this movement. I strongly agree that the DEMA Board terms should be two 2-year limits only. New blood is paramount to the success of any operation. I would like the board to reconsider term limits. Another reason for my reconsideration of my direction was that, different than what I was told, the by-law amendment information was presented to all members of DEMA three times in July- of 2008, and the ballot information itself was presented five times after. they asked us to comment on line, they set up a forum. it was very obvious that of those that made comments the majority wanted terms limits kept, then BOOM, the comments were down and gone and a vote using the "pay you play" vote system was put in place.

yes, three whole times they contacted the membership, in JULY. Can you say a busy month in the dive industry? Why did it NEED to be done then???? A obvious question...the answer lies in who got elected right away I'm afraid. It could and it should have waited.

PLUS- the freaking economy was tanking, the dive industry hurting. The DEMA BOD had NOTHING better to do with their spare time than worry about removing term limits??????????????????????? come on that stinks to high heaven.

I originally backed this movement because of the voting process to go with one company one vote. I have since learned that many so-called professionals in our industry are not paying their dues for membership. Votes are determined by company gross sales and the revenue and dues category that puts them in. When a company under-reports (or doesn’t report at all) their gross sales, and pays less dues, they are limited to their voting power. If a company were to pay their proper dues, they would definitely have the votes needed to voice their opinion. Many actual professionals are not paying their dues because they see no value. professional look after the bottom line. To imply people in the industry are not professional because they don't pay their DEMA dues is silly. The whole pay more get more is crap.Your statement above makes it seem you only think people with money are worth listening to, surely you can't believe that.

It is for this reason I wish to have Scuba Emporium, Our World-Underwater and Patrick Hammer removed from the petition and any movement that goes against DEMA. I will join any effort that assures a face to face meeting with the DEMA board to help improve the industry.

DEMA is GOOD for the dive industry - What's happening is WRONG!..... It is for this reason I wish to have Scuba Emporium, Our World-Underwater and Patrick Hammer removed from the petition and any movement that goes against DEMA. I will join any effort that assures a face to face meeting with the DEMA board to help improve the industry.

Pat, There are a lot of issues here that need to be addressed but I don't think this movement is *against* DEMA. I look at more as a family brawl and I hope that it will be beneficial to DEMA in the end. When the dust settles and everyone has had their say, hopefully, DEMA and the industry will be better for it.

Patrick Hammer is a very well respected DEMA member. He is a long time educator and a great dive retailer. He has his reasons to withdraw his support for the present petition asking for major change in the current DEMA. At least Patrick Hammer has the courage to speak out, change his mind as he sees fit.

Many others are still way on the sidelines on this important issue. How do we get this industry moving forward with new diver acquisition, retention, and local diving, etc.? That is what this is all about.

Patrick Hammer is a very well respected DEMA member. He is a long time educator and a great dive retailer. He has his reasons to withdraw his support for the present petition asking for major change in the current DEMA. At least Patrick Hammer has the courage to speak out, change his mind as he sees fit.

Many others are still way on the sidelines on this important issue. How do we get this industry moving forward with new diver acquisition, retention, and local diving, etc.? That is what this is all about.

I have known Pat for more years than I care to admit to and I have always found him to be fair and honest and to work for what he believes to be in the best interest of the industry. This is, however, not about Pat Hammer. It is, as you point out, about how we can best help DEMA serve the needs of the industry in these difficult and chalenging times.

Back
Top Bottom