• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Path to becoming a public safety diver

Discussion in 'Public Safety Divers' started by Griff.., Aug 1, 2010.

1. Griff..

Griff.. Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives:
    So I'm currently a Divemaster doing my IDC.

after some recreational instructor experience, I am looking to maybe go into public safety diving..
    I was just wondering if this is a good Career?
    What's the pay like, is there a need for it?
    Does training come with getting the job or are there recognized organisations you need a cert from

Thanks
    James

2. sardiverdan

sardiverdan Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    PAY...You can get paid for this??? Just kidding. Most dive recovery units are made up of volunteers who do not get paid. The dive units that do get paid to dive, like some LE units, are usually officers first and diving is a secondary duty. They do have a few full time paid dive units out there but they are so few.

3. BladesRobinson

BladesRobinson ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

In most of the fire departments in Florida, firefighters are paid about $15 bi-weekly to be public safety divers also. I believe the law enforcement officers in the area are receiving a similar incentive. Naturally there are extremes where some are doing the diving for "free" (as part of their job requirements) and some are making more than $15 bi-weekly. The variances are likely due to the volume of dive calls these team members respond to.

There are no "public safety diving jobs" because a huge majority of the departments don't have enough underwater operations to justify having a full-time diver/dive team.

4. Gary D.

Gary D. ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Recreational and PSD are quite different.

5. TC

TC Miscreant Moderator Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

Pasted from an earlier thread-

6. Jim Baldwin

Jim Baldwin Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives:
    You have gotten very solid down to earth information nothing sugar coated here.

As the other posters have said you would be better off going to work in law
    enforcement or fire where there would be a clear need for your expertise as you will
    soon be an instructor.

In the early 80's I worked for a the local PD and another officer and myself were the dive team for the entire parish(county). The local FD was just getting into diving. We had to provide our own gear and diddn't paid for any call outs if we were off duty.

Now as an instructor I am teaching more and more fire and police than ever before. Some have found grants while others get reimbursed for gear or training as budgeted items through their department. None I know of get paid to just be a PSD.

And yes there are specific courses that you can take to enhance your resume. Some even require that you are a LE or FD member assigned to a dive team before you can even apply.

My son recently went to work for Galveston PD and during the interview process they saw that he was a Rescue Diver. As they were looking for new members not recreational OW divers but folks who can handle zero vis. this made for some good questions. Galveston PD has a dive/marine division and their officers do get paid extra to be members.