Path to follow after OW certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Finally it's happening! I just came back from the classroom session of my UTD Essentials. Tomorrow and Sunday will be nothing but drills. Had my very first experience with donning a backplate and wing on land and I appreciate the philosophy behind DIR equipment. Tomorrow I will post my first impressions from the water sessions.

Btw, I'm part of the very first Essentials course held in Greece. TSandM, I'm already greatful for pointing me this way!

This is very cool.

Talking with Andrew Georgitsis on the boat last week, he told me he really likes the instructor you have, that he is a really good guy and good diver. So I'm eager to hear how the class goes for you!

-->TSandM: While on the subject of air management, after I did my fin pivot drill for the first time (having to inflate the BC through the mouthpiece) I've made it my habit to inflate my BC (when I want to adjust my boyancy) by exhaling into the inflator mouthpiece. I know it won't make a dramatic difference to my air management, but thought that every little bit helps. I'd like to know what exprerienced divers think of this practice.

Reading this a bit late, but for some value of "experienced" (260+ dives), I'll take a shot since no one else has. Personally, I think that you'll break even at best on your air consumption; every time I do this underwater I always lose a little air that's trapped in my 2nd stage when I pull it out of my mouth, and if I haven't remembered to retain sufficient breath to clear it when I re-insert it, I've got to use the purge and waste more gas.

But I still think it's a good idea to do this once in a while (or better yet once a dive), and I always inflate my reg on the surface manually (I test both manual and power inflation before the dive). Manually inflating it saves me a bit of tank gas which might come in handy If for any reason I need to re-submerge; it's kind of like the old aviation adage about there being nothing more useless than runway behind you.

As to using the manual inflation underwater, I try to do it to keep the fact that I _can_ do so in my mind. I had a solo dive some time ago where I'd been a bit hurried in my pre-dive prep and had neglected to hook up my inflator hose. The dive was over a hard bottom and the depth was modest so no big deal ,and I just hooked it up on the bottom when I realized the problem.

But, while I was descending, my brain wasn't really thinking about _why_ using the power inflator wasn't slowing my descent rate (I was descending horizontally, so kicking wasn't an issue to slow me), nor was it processing the lack of noise. And it never occurred to me to use manual inflation until I reached the bottom, when I no longer needed it. Since I feel that good habits are best ingrained by constant repetition, using the manual inflator underwater on a fairly regular basis seems to me to be a good idea, even if I use a bit more gas in the process. Even though I normally dive dry now so have redundancy, should I ever have an inflation hose issue again hopefully my first response will be to try to manually inflate, instead of puzzling about what the problem with the hose is.

And the other, and even more important good habit I re-learned from that episode is that whenever you're hurrying through your pre-dive prep, Stop! Take a deep breath, slow down, and be extra meticulous about doing the inspection right.

HTH, and enjoy Essentials. Unless your LDS is really thorough, I suspect you may find that AOW seems pretty lame by comparison:D

Guy

My instructor, Nikos Karatzas, seems a very relaxed and confident guy. Even in our first meeting he took the time to talk about diving in a way that both made sense and appealed to me.

I'm not one to jump into conclusions, so I'll post more when I get back this evening, but my first impression is that I have made the right choice regarding my diving education.

On my way to class now. Thanks again to all for your valuable input.

Just finished my Essentials course. Too tired to write about it in detail right now, but here are the highlights:

- I ended up doing Essentials, because I had felt that after OW I was nowhere near a diver. I'm glad I posted here and even more glad I followed TSandM's advice to do the Essentials. Sure, OW didn't make me a diver. It just made it possible for me to not drown while doing drills on my knees or following a guided tour to some corals or shipwreck or something. I now realize this perfectly.

- For me, GUE/UTD philosophy (too early to distinguish between the 2) seems like the right way forward, even if I never choose to cross over from rec to tech.

- I learned many interesting concepts and was shown how to dive in the horizontal position and how to kick efficiently and effortlessly (those skills will take a good while and a great deal of practice to be assimilated, but it's definitely worth it).

- I learned to control my boyancy using (proper amount of weights and ) nothing but my lungs. It may seem child's play to most of you, but to a guy who used to crash to the ocean floor and then tried to hover, it is a great achievement to be able - after just 2 days - to control his depth well enough to make a controlled ascent from 18 feet to the surface, stoping every 3 feet and managing to stay on the same level with his instuctor at each stop - even the final one at 3 feet! On that score alone, Essentials was worth it!

- I still panic when taskloaded, but now can do the S-drill and shoot an SMB, staying more or less at the same depth and still remember to read my SPG and watch.

- I now know that BP/Wing is the right rig for me. Just glad I listened to the good advice offered in this forum and didn't burn money on a jacket (and other gear). No problems whatsoever on the surface, perfect underwater, near total sense of freedom due to absense of pockets, gizmos and whatnots in the torso area.

Bottom line:

I'm still NOT a diver, but I have found a dive system that makes sense and has convinced me that it's well thought out and can make me a safe, even competent diver, given enough practice. I highly recommend UTD Essentials or its GUE equivalent to anyone who's only been exposed to the PADI way. At the very least it will give you something to think about.

P.S: TSandM, when you see Andrew Georgitsis next, tell him that Nikos is a very good diver, a good guy and instructor too. After I buy my equipment and practice what I learned, I will probably enroll to the UTD Rec2 course. Thanks again for bringing UTD to my attention!

I got my AOW mainly so I could go on the "advanced dives"....so it is more of a requirement for the boat then anything else. You don't learn too much more in AOW than you do in OW...more buoency practice and some night and deep diving experience...thats pretty much it.

Glad you had a good class! The more you know, and the better your skills are, the more fun diving becomes. You will not see the full benefit of this class you just took right away, but you will look back in six months and marvel at it. (Or at least I did!)

Glad you had a good class! The more you know, and the better your skills are, the more fun diving becomes. You will not see the full benefit of this class you just took right away, but you will look back in six months and marvel at it. (Or at least I did!)

I had a great class and the benefit of the video debriefs is just invaluable. I took them home in a flash stick so I can review my mistakes and later my (one hopes) progress!

I know it will months before I can see the full benefit of Essentials, but it was a real eye opener. Good news is that I took the class together with my regular dive buddy and we've already agreed to spend the next few weekends diving shallow and practicing boyancy, posture and propulsion. Then we will dive again with our instructor to evaluate our progress and get tips on improving our skills further. Then it will be on to Rec2.

On my way to become a diver :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom