payback time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Y'all can come on down to the Keys. It seems that anybody with a pulse can get a job here. Cost of living is a bit high, but you don't have to worry about a heating bill...

Padipro:
Start your own business? You need a partner? I figure I got til about April, after that if I ain't found a job, I'm in trouble. That is as long as I don't go diving to much and spend all the money in my savings.

There's definitely no money in teaching scuba. My LDS was looking for a "Dive Slave"... Hmmm.... teach friends for next to nothing and have fun... or teach for a dive shop and make next to nothing??? I'd rather have fun and teach for nearly nothing in Florida... but... there's another cold front coming on Sunday... burrr... Anything north of Daytona is too far north...

Al

Padipro:
Start your own business? You need a partner? I figure I got til about April, after that if I ain't found a job, I'm in trouble. That is as long as I don't go diving to much and spend all the money in my savings.

I am in the cellular business as a field tech. training new people for the Jacksonville market, but of course I would rather be back home in Hollywood and playing with my dogs and now my gills are drying up, I cant wait to get back and do some diving sooon.

I also can survive till about March or April. Are you interested into being a partner in something. I was thinking about buying a business thats for sale or something...

I am just tired of contract work and need to be my own boss for a change. This road life just plain bites.

Padipro:
Aircraft Maintenance. I worked for a major US airline maintaining their aircraft. I'm one of those guys you see running in and out of the cockpit when you're trying to stuff your bag in the overhead bin. :eyebrow:

It seems that most employeers in areas other then the aviation industry have no idea exactly what we do on a nightly basis to keep these multi-million dollar aluminum tubs flying. Therefore they are reluctant to hire someone like me. I applied at a local marina that had a help wanted sign posted for the position of electronics installer and they wouldn't even talk to me. Considering these aircraft have several hundred computers, dozens of different electronic systems and the newest of them are fly by wire, installing electronics on a boat would be third grade stuff to me but no one will give me the chance to prove it.

I, too, am originally from FtLauderdale and flew out of FXE and PMP. I left Florida for Japan and now Virginia. I worked on 12 F-14 Tomcats as the Night Check Supervisor and it was a SUPER challenge to repair all that broke during the 12 and 13 hours the command was flying prior to and during my shift. I had 9 or 10 hours to repair and do the routine checks on my systems so that they would be an up and running asset for our country.
Even though the job took me away from the paradise that is Florida, it has also exposed me to so many other parts of the world.......I'll be back!!!! Fore warned is fore armed!!! Give me 4 or 5 years!

Well, this seems appropriate- I ahven't been able to respond to the posts as I have been sick-and you know its bad when we are too sick to be on a computer!!!!

Grier- yes- we definately need a DCC society- amybe we could all meet up somewhere in the cold and turn the heating up real high and wander around in shorts and tank tops :)

And as for me working- like padipro, finding work for which you are qualified is the difficult one- I had no worries in Florida, but here in NC it is difficult. Like simbrooks I am held by greencard issues which tie me down. But one day, Florida, I will be back. (either that or Hawaii)

showboat:
...Are you interested in being a partner in something....

Always interested. Keep me in mind and if something comes up let me know what it is and we could always talk about it.

munkispank:
Well, this seems appropriate- I ahven't been able to respond to the posts as I have been sick-and you know its bad when we are too sick to be on a computer!!!!

Grier- yes- we definately need a DCC society- amybe we could all meet up somewhere in the cold and turn the heating up real high and wander around in shorts and tank tops :)

And as for me working- like padipro, finding work for which you are qualified is the difficult one- I had no worries in Florida, but here in NC it is difficult. Like simbrooks I am held by greencard issues which tie me down. But one day, Florida, I will be back. (either that or Hawaii)

Who needs shorts and tank tops? :eyebrow:

Soooo, if you're not working...
....maybe you can join us the weekend of Feb 18 for some Florida cavern diving! (There's a thread on the NC Wreck Divers forum. I'm driving, and you're more than welcome to join me.)

Drop me a PM or an email some time. I think we need to discuss this!

-Grier

GrierHPharmD:
Soooo, if you're not working...
....maybe you can join us the weekend of Feb 18 for some Florida cavern diving! (There's a thread on the NC Wreck Divers forum. I'm driving, and you're more than welcome to join me.)
Add the KY group and a few Conch's - although probably only me by the looks of it.... There is also a thread relating this bunch of trips on FCD too :wink:

simbrooks:
Add the KY group

I sure hope you mean "Kentucky"... :eyebrow:

That or it's the guys and gals who put a little weight on and haven't bought new suits to match their new shape! KY is cheaper......... :) but Vaseline is slicker!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom