PDC bull sharks wiped out.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is not a Marine Park. But I was speaking with a friend who is a fisherman here in Playa and he said that you have to have a special permit to be able to fish in the area he was fishing. So I don't know if there is anything that can be done to him for fishing in that area without a permit, but I am pretty sure what he did was not illegal, and that is very unfortunate!
I do hope your government takes this as a clue to pass tougher regs, restrictions, and laws even if slow to enforce. Many of us are just visitors, we can only talk with our Pesos, but you can take some actions.

"Humberto Andusi from Puerto Morelos, Mexico, and by all accounts, he knew exactly what he was doing; like all experienced fishermen he knows when and where the fish are. Additionally, the location and value of the sharks to the dive industry there was no secret. Humberto sought out and killed these sharks, seven of which where reproductive females. "

If this is that case and is in fact accurate and if Mr. Andusi is in fact the owner of a local restaurant.....would it not be appropriate to know the name of the restaurant? I personally would appreciate knowing the establishments name as I would never want to accidentally support such a man!

I was in Puerto Morelos on that Saturday morning and personally saw several large sharks in the back of a pickup truck parked outside a restaurant. We were headed to a dive shop next door for some morning dives. It's very very sad that this type of reckless behavior is allowed to happen.

Do you remember the name of the restaurant or the dive shop? I want to be sure never to eat there.

I do hope your government takes this as a clue to pass tougher regs, restrictions, and laws even if slow to enforce. Many of us are just visitors, we can only talk with our Pesos, but you can take some actions.
Yes, the Mexican government should make this a priority now, especially, while it doesn't have any other compelling problems to address. :wink:

From the Oceanic Defense article - "Today, shortly after the local newspaper article came out about what had happened and who had killed Playa del Carmen's bull sharks, Señor Andusi walked into one of the leading dive shops in town, Phantom Divers, and apologized to the owner. Apparently, community pressure exerted via the local press had an initial impact."

WOW. I know I sure feel better knowing that he apologized. What a load. I am sure that is great comfort to the dive shops of Playa who will now lose a staple of their winter diving business. Not to mention the possibility of a lost generation of Bull Sharks. Geofish - I will still be there in January...lets dive!!!!! And for you "Senior", your business will not see a penny of my money.

Do you remember the name of the restaurant or the dive shop? I want to be sure never to eat there.

Unfortunately I don't remember the name of the restaurant. We just drove past it and saw the sharks. The truck was parked next to the Hotel Hacienda.

Funny thing is that we did the shark dive a few days later in Playa. I didn't even think about the dead sharks we saw and that they might be the sharks that visit Playa every year. We didn't see any sharks on the dive and now I know why.

Unfortunately I don't remember the name of the restaurant. We just drove past it and saw the sharks. The truck was parked next to the Hotel Hacienda.
Ok, that's a good hint, but let's make sure exactly which cafe this hombre owns before we start posting the name ok? We wouldn't want to ruin the wrong place on the [-] island[/-] village.

We would like to ruin his of course...

Last edited:
There's a petition to try and protect these species here.

Please try sign it if you can, we need to try and convince the authorities that the commercial value of these animals lays with them being alive and not on the back of a truck being sold for cheap fish meat.

Back
Top Bottom