PDC bull sharks wiped out.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

click for larger Capture.JPG

This is so tragic, it was unique to have these beautiful bull sharks coming back to us every winter. PDC needs a real protected area just as Cozumel does.
It's insane they were killed here, the one location which benefits the most economically by them. But the fisherman is from Puerto Morelos, so in true human spirit he cared about himself most, everybody else less and the beauty of nature the least.
I'm shocked and sad.

hq:
This is so tragic, it was unique to have these beautiful bull sharks coming back to us every winter. PDC needs a real protected area just as Cozumel does.
It's insane they were killed here, the one location which benefits the most economically by them. But the fisherman is from Puerto Morelos, so in true human spirit he cared about himself most, everybody else less and the beauty of nature the least.
I'm shocked and sad.

You are completely right. Not to mention the fact that there are going to be other areas along the migration route that will no longer see the "return of the bulls". I am curious about one thing - why did this creep go to Phantom Divers to apologize? Did he visit any other shop? Does he know someone personally at Phantom?

i started going to that area when pdc was just a small fishing village. there were few tourists and grouper would come near you while you went body surfing. it was not unusual so see a fisherman with his boat on shore proudly displaying a bull he had caught. so to me it seems a natural event that a fisherman would catch bulls.
what seemed unnatural to me was that dive ops began to feed them in order to create a place where they would congregate. when mamita's became a crowded beach and diveops were feeding bulls just offshore i thought it was an accident waiting to happen.

i started going to that area when pdc was just a small fishing village. there were few tourists and grouper would come near you while you went body surfing. it was not unusual so see a fisherman with his boat on shore proudly displaying a bull he had caught. so to me it seems a natural event that a fisherman would catch bulls.
what seemed unnatural to me was that dive ops began to feed them in order to create a place where they would congregate. when mamita's became a crowded beach and diveops were feeding bulls just offshore i thought it was an accident waiting to happen.

My personal opinions about not messing with nature are similar - but I think that there is an enormous difference between responsible fishing and fishing out an entire school - that, to me, is just short-sighted, selfish and greedy. And while I enjoy diving with the bulls, I don't agree with feeding them.

Either way, the issue at hand is larger than just one event or my opinion - the issue is that of reef and marine conservation as a whole in the area. The degradation of the reefs and the decline of marine life (sharks included) are the larger concern, and the work we are trying to do down here is to get the authorities to start regulating responsibly - ideally designating a marine park similar to the areas surrounding us, but at a minimum at least enforcing sustainability and environmental protection regulations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom