Peacock Springs renamed for Wes Skiles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got the e-mail below from FDEP and thought I would pass it along. This seems like a very nice and well-deserved tribute.

>>>>>>
CALENDAR ANNOUNCEMENT: November 5, 2010
Kristin Lock, (850) 245-2112

PEACOCK SPRINGS STATE PARK TO HOST SPECIAL NAMING EVENT
~New state park name will honor the late Wes Skiles~

LIVE OAK - The Florida Department of Environmental Protection’s Florida Park Service will host a special naming event at Peacock Springs State Park in Live Oak on Tuesday, November 16, at 11:00 a.m.

Peacock Springs State Park will be renamed in honor of Wes Skiles, world-class explorer, cinematographer and photographer, who passed away earlier this year. Skiles’ legacy includes a passion for the protection Florida’s springs, cave exploration, a vast understanding of the Floridan aquifer and superb educational and adventurous science films.

For more information on Florida’s state parks, visit Welcome to Florida State Parks

This event will take place:

Tuesday, November 16, 2010
11:00 a.m.
Peacock Springs State Park
Park Entrance Located on 180th Street
Off of State Road 51
Live Oak, Florida
(386) 362-2746

This is not a secret,but there is timing involved and notification of people,so you may have spilled the beans on a by invitation event to honor the family in a private event.

I for one thinks Shek deserves so much credit and a cave named after him for all the lives his work probably saved is a good honor. But NOBODY has done moe for the Springs in general than Wes did. This goes beyond cave diving, maybe why your opinion on the matter wasn't asked. Wes was devoted to the aquifer and all the springs that we enjoy. Good for you Wes!!
That's rather the point. Why Peacock? If Wes's contributions went beyond all that, then why rename Peacock? And in particular, when others may have a more direct connection, and when Wes Skyles may have been more directly connected to something else, why Peacock? The logic is a little thin.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. I am all for honoring Wes, his huge contributions across the sport of diving and his conservation efforts etc. but renaming Peacock after him seems a little strange. It also seems odd that the majority of people have never heard about this idea until now. Why exclude a group of people that idolize an individual from making suggestions as to how that person could be honored? If this was done to avoid an argument then we have just arrived there via a different route.

I deeply miss Wes Skiles and it is a nice honor to remember him, But I'm reminded of how the nation quickly changed Cape Canaveral to Cape Kennedy after the death of President Kennedy only to change it back to Cape Canaveral several years later due to the 400 years of history of calling it Cape Canaveral, and then naming the facility the Kennedy Space Center.

I would think Peacock Springs should remain. P3 (which is an odd name) could be renamed the Skiles tunnel, but it seems the decision is already made by a few for a few.

I could be wrong. But I think that they my name the new trail after him. They are going to open it on that date. Maybe maybe not.

I could be wrong. But I think that they my name the new trail after him. They are going to open it on that date. Maybe maybe not.
Naming a new trail would make more sense than re-naming the springs, and it makes more sense in terms of timing - but that is clearly not what the posted e-mail states.

hey guys sounds like a great time and place to do the frist annual wes skyles explorer maybe the last week end every nov after thanksgiving get all venders with new stuff they want to show and have the cave community do a discover cave or the like week end I think wes would like that . sell tickets to the even to cover a get together round the fire.

This is not a secret,but there is timing involved and notification of people,so you may have spilled the beans on a by invitation event to honor the family in a private event.

I hope I haven't ruined any kind of surprise - sorry if I did. The e-mail I posted was a mass e-mail sent out to the general public, so I didn't have any reason to think it was a secret. I don't have any other specific knowledge about this event.

Personally my thoughts on this are Wes has brought diving, the oceans, cave diving, cave conservation, river conservation, etc to the public eye which people otherwise might not have seen.

He was more than just a great diver and a great photographer.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom