Peeing in wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My husband has done our last couple of cave diving trips in a wetsuit. If you're in the water for three hours, you pretty much HAVE to pee at some point. Despite simple rinsing, his wetsuit becomes so malodorous that it honestly makes me gag -- and I work in an emergency room, so bad smells are something I just have to live with. Washing with detergent or fabric softener gets rid of the smell, or at least makes it so that the wetsuit IN THE TRUNK doesn't make me want to open the car door and fall out on the highway.

There is always the Walter Maneuver.... Where did he go? I hope he is well.

Near the end of the dive get into a feet up position and purge air in through through the collar. The rising bubbles will draw water and flush the suit like a primitive aquarium pump.

Pete

All though I dive dry (suit) most of the time now, when in wet suits I tend to resist the process. At my age, I'm concerned I'll get confused between a wet suit and a business suit and most of my business presentations would likely frown on a wet spot at the podium.

Underwater communication can often be confusing.

My wife was always complimenting me for hugging her while we were diving.

It wasn't until much later that she learned that hugging her was my underwater communcation for "I'm peeing right now."

That's hilarious...

I have to stop, so my wife is always asking me what's wrong when I stop. I give her the two crossed finger signal.

When wetsuit diving in cold water, I always drink lot of fluids before the dive and then chug a large amount of water right before I go in. When the wife asked what's going on, I told her I'm recharging the wetsuit heater.

There is always the Walter Maneuver.... Where did he go? I hope he is well.

Near the end of the dive get into a feet up position and purge air in through through the collar. The rising bubbles will draw water and flush the suit like a primitive aquarium pump.

Pete

First I've heard of this. Interesting. Probably not a great idea in 40F water.

While diving in a drysuit has its downsides, being male and having a p-valve make up for that and more. I only have about 18 dives in my wetsuit (on vacation or in the warm summer waters of Hood Canal). Haven't peed in it yet. But I know it is a matter of time.

Honestly even in my drysuit, when I get into the water (which is in the mid 50's here in Puget Sound right now according to my dive computer), I almost always instantly feel the need to pee. I don't know why exactly. Since I installed the p-valve and started using it, I do much longer dives comfortably, as opposed to limiting myself to 40 minute dives. Makes me wish I installed the thing right off the bat.

Underwater communication can often be confusing.

My wife was always complimenting me for hugging her while we were diving.

It wasn't until much later that she learned that hugging her was my underwater communcation for "I'm peeing right now."

My underwater sign for I'm peeing stay away is the old 80's Lawn Sprinkler Dance.
IMG_5130.jpg

Seriously guys especially those that remember man's first moon landing, If you persistently have the need to urinate on every dive of an hour or so and frequently find your self wanting to go even topside a visit to a urologist could be life changing. An enlarged prostate can cause enough fluid retention to irritate your bladder and make it anxious. With that going on any need is amplified and relief is paramount. Immersion diuresis is very real and sooner or latter you need to go but the percentage of dives you end tidy could increase dramatically.

Just get a front zip wetsuit find a nice spot and unzip then let fly (sorry ladies can't help there).

I did this once standing in the sand near bloody bay wall just looking off into the blue. It went stunningly until the guy shooting video and about six others swam up to see what was so fascinating made for a funny surface interval discussion good thing I'm not shy.

Back
Top Bottom