Pennies as wight as opposed to lead?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Go to your Local Mechanic, get a few old Lead acid batteries, hack them up, get an old gas burner and a steel pot, buy a mould and Bobs your uncle, cheap custom weights that you can use or sell to all your mates at cheap rates!!!

Aquamaniac

Don't do this. Lead fumes are toxic, so is it worth while just to save a few dollars :shaking:

DameDykker once bubbled...
Don't do this. Lead fumes are toxic, so is it worth while just to save a few dollars
While lead fumes are bad... it is easy to melt and pour lead with the proper precautions... standing up wind is definitely one of them (this means no more pouring lead in the kitchen Aquamaniac :wink: ) A respirator doesn't hurt either.

The problem with batteries as a source of lead is that it is sponge lead and lead oxide.

For melting and pouring a better source of lead is used wheel weights.

Ive been making lead weights and sinkers for many years now, This new found knowledge explains why I walk into walls, Put my BC on back to front, rig up the Acetlene bottle as a stage, and often find myself sitting at the grill with my reg connected to the gas bottle.

But seriously, the lead I use is a byproduct of a manufacturing process at my business, and i do take precautions. I only ever work under a vented hood.
And always try to drink a glass of water after swallowing lead.

Ive never thought about the PbO in batteries actually PUG, good point!!!

Talk about digression.....

The mainstay of the Power gen. wire biz is a product called Daglas.
This rectangular shaped solid conductor is insulated with a polyester and fiberglass compisite yarn.

A strand of glass is twisted with a strand of polyester (the same as your clothes are made of). A bunch of these strands are then wrapped around the conductor in a flat ribbon. From here the wire is passed through a high frequency inverter oven, heated to about 200 degrees Celcius. The polyester melts to form a bond between the glass and the copper. The resultant layer of glass provides a Dielectric Stength of about 600VAC.
This wire is used in every power station generator in the world, and almost any electric motor over 200HP.

Who is the world largest supplier of this yarn?

WE ARE!!! lol (Im proud of our achievments in the industry)

www.electricalfibers.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom