Pennies as wight as opposed to lead?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Back when I went for my second of two OW check-outs, I picked up my rental gear from the LDS, which had a file on me. They handed me a weight belt with 20 lbs. of soft weight, and I told them that I used at least 22 lbs. the week before. They insisted that 20 was adequate, but I wasn't so sure.

Luckily, the weight belt had one of those little add-on pockets, so before heading to the quarry, I loaded a ziplock baggie about 1/2 full with pennies, then added a little water to remove trapped air before sealing it and putting it in the pouch.

Fast-forward to this season, when I realized I was a few pounds shy of where I needed to be with my new set-up. So I added a tank-strap pocket to my weight-integrated BC, and added two pounds of soft weight. Still a little positive. Lo & behold, what did I find in the well of my truck? The bag of pennies -- all sorts of corroded now. I added it to the soft weight pocket, and they've remained there since.

And I thought I was the only one. They're kinda like my lucky coins now.

Back
Top Bottom