Pensacola Area Shore Diving Feb 27, 28, and 1st?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My Son and I may be out at Fort Pickins on Saturday, say around mid day. Perhaps we will see you there.

Convenience and quality... :) I'd be bored as hell if I dove conveniently.

Wear a hood! I've done winter dives at St. Andrews, and a hood makes all the difference!

St. Andrews is an awesome place to dive!

You can do the shallow water dive, but for me, the best dive is to enter over the jetties (70-72'), then swim around the point (right side if you are looking at the jetties from the beach) and exit on the beach.

Bring a dive flag and use it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (trust me on this one!!!!!!!!!!) $$$$$$$ spend.gif :jail:

Learn what slack tide is! Start your dive just before it and end just after it.

Enjoy!

Also, if you camp at St. Andrews, you can do dusk and night dives!

As much as I love NW Florida, I have to admit that Joe is right. Ft. Lauderdale beats the crap out of the Panhandle for shore diving, but it's also more crowded, and more expensive to stay there. (charters are cheaper though :wink: ).

You are better off not doing the panhandle now unless you are diving dry or 7mm wetsuit with hooded vest and capable of handling cold. Fort Lauderdale area is supposed to have shore diving and I have listed links to this information below. Also the FL keys have a lot of boat diving that can be done.

I disagree on the 7mm though. I can get by with a 5mm and a hood, and will be mostly toasty in a 5mm + hooded vest. Different people have different tolerances for cold though (Bamamedic) and surface temp means a lot to me (I don't like exiting 55 degree water for 35 degree air)

You can do the shallow water dive, but for me, the best dive is to enter over the jetties (70-72'), then swim around the point (right side if you are looking at the jetties from the beach) and exit on the beach.

Can you explain entering over the Jetties? So do you mean entering around Buoy #5 and swimming around the point and ending up on the beach?

W7SwG.gif

Look on the map for "Lagoon (kiddie pool)" There is a break in the rocks about where the "k" in kiddie is. It might not be 100% apparent at a very high tide, but it's there, and you can see it when you get close unless the water is total crap.

I make my entry there and usually swim South along the wall. I've yet to round the wall, and probably won't attempt it unless I'm with a diver that's done it before (perhaps overly cautious, but wth?) There are tons of things to see from 20-70ft. I wouldn't feel comfortable much less than 20 because of the boat traffic, and I would definitely tow a dive flag.

Keep in mind that sometimes the viz is one way at the surface, and another at depth (same for current direction). You may have a South Current and 0 viz at the surface, and a North Current and 30 viz at 40ft. I've yet to hit a current that worried me there, but it's a good idea to stick close to the rocks in case one sneaks up on you and you have to hand-over-hand it.

Can you explain entering over the Jetties? So do you mean entering around Buoy #5 and swimming around the point and ending up on the beach?

W7SwG.gif

Effectively, yes. I usually go over the jetties at the shortest point between the jetties and the end of the walkway (less distance to haul gear).

Be warned, however, that the local fisherpeople seem to enjoy trying to hook your flag as you tow it past them. Always fun to have a tug-of-war when you're at depth.

Hetland, I've never been through that way. I'll have to check that out next time I'm down there.

Convenience and quality... :) I'd be bored as hell if I dove conveniently.

True, but what's a broke college student to do?

Hopefully, I'll be able to budget in a quick trip to Marianna at the end of March

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom