Pensacola Night Dive Charter Friday Aug 28 '09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It really is a steal and I think we are going to plan another for next weekend... I would like to do one going to natural bottom for a bug hunt. Maybe the greens holes would be nice or even some bridge rubble might be good.
If we do it would be more suited for experienced divers since it is more difficult without an actual structure to navigate at night.
Let me know if anyone is interested, I will speak with Capt Buddy tomorrow about it...

beachgeek, i was at mr greens about a month ago and the 6 of us there only saw about 2 bugs...granted the boat captain said we couldnt get any (boat was the viking) cuz he doesnt have some kind of license. wish you more luck if/when you go.

it is a big area so it depends where you are on the reef plus at night the bugs come out of their holes.
I have a couple of spots we found that have nice ledges and about 15 ft of relief so hopefully it will be good for bugs at night...

Would rather be on the timber holes but that is a long trip for a big charter boat...

The dive charter boats don't have reef fishing permits which are for federal waters so they cannot allow spearfishing or other fishing in federal waters off their boats.

Robert, that is something you should take up with Barry and/or Larry privately my friend. No one here has an answer for them or knows anything about it...

Yes, Dalton is a friend and does do trips and I am not certain what his permit covers as it is a commercial fishing permit.

WOW! Sorry to see a post about night diving head this way. I would not have posted anything but wanted to make sure everyone understood what my charter operation can do. My boat is federally permitted, and state licensed, to six-pack "charter fish" in the Gulf of Mexico, both reef species and coastal pelagics.

"BeachGeek" is correct, the boat once had commercial federal permits. Once we determined that both family life (kids) and charter opportunities would prevent profitable commercial fishing the commercial permits were brokered for charter permits.

I hope this works out. What a great night dive!

Off-topic posts/replies have been removed...

Does the permitting cover bugs too?

Yes, the boat can take spinys but interestingly enough, only commercial lobster harvesting is governed, and permitted, by federal regs. Charter taking is governed by the state and I have the lobster endorsement on my state license. Quite the pain in the :mooner: to keep track of it.

Back
Top Bottom