Permanently chinked regulator MARES breathing hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Always Breath

Registered
Reaction score
I have a new MARES regulator (Proton). The hose had a chink, I returned it to the shop to replace it. However when I opened a new box, that one had the same problem. Has anyone else experienced this with MARES regulators? I cannot find any info about a recall and MARES website does not have a contact email link.

The new mares hose is softer than the one they used to use. Trying to reduce hose pull and jaw fatigue. The hose is so soft, however, that just being curled up in the box they come in, can put a crease in it. It's really just cosmetic, and won't affect air flow... and after being straightened out for a long period of time... it will kinda fade away. You can drop any standard reg hose on there.... it just won't be as flexible.

Same with mine, I pull the hose protector down to the point of injury before I put them in the reg bag, it seems to hold the hose straight instead of kinking it again.I don't know if it helps the hose, but it makes me feel better.

I replaced the hose with one from another company. I cut the bad hose in half and some small white pieces came out. Apparently the core of the MARES hose is a ridgid type of plastic, that once chiniked stays that way. Sorry to diagree Larry, but I think this may cause a failure and be dangerous. Anyone with a MARES regulator should have it checked.

Tell you guys what... I've got the 2 top guys from Dacor / Mares visiting this week. One was here last night, and I've got a meeting with him tomorrow, the other is flying in to see me the first of next week.... I'll get some answers from the horses mouth.

If you have any other questions for them... Let me know.

Can you guys post a picture of the hose for me or tell me what is written on the lay line. The lay line is the writting on the hose stating psi and so forth please. I worked as a hose repair tech for a company here in Orlando and may be able to identify whats going on. If they are indeed using a "plastic" liner tube its probably teflon and it is an issue with it kinking. If kinked teflon hose will degrade at the point of the bend and cause a catastrophic failure (it'll burst) Not trying to scare you but it's not good. I've seen tons of teflon hose go bad for just that reason. Good luck with the Mares reps too.

this is exactly what the layline says,"pressure tested-warning-do not exceed 510 psi(35bar)-higher psi (bar) may cause damage or personal injury -I-k- L.031239" I don't have a digital camera yet, but the chink on mine was there right out of the box, first stage end, 1 inch after the end of the hose protecter.(4 inches from end of hose) This hose goes to my second stage & I never thought twice about it, until now! I'll be awaiting any info, YIKES!!!!

My hose says the same thing as Chris's but the #'s are J-K-L.031495. The core is a hard white plastic wrapped bias with some type of cord and then covered by the outter casing. I will try to take a picture and post it. I am interested to hear what those Top guys from MARES have to say.
Anything Ffred can find will be good, since

Ok... Had my meeting with the National Sales Mgr... Got the prez coming in next week... And according to him... They have seen a kink in hoses now and then. Italy did extensive testing on it, and concluded that it is not a problem that could lead to a hose bursting. At the pressures we're dealing with, it is a cosmetic concern only... But if one of my customers has purchased one, and it has a kink that they don't like - they will supply me with ample hoses of a different make to replace them at no charge.

Ahhh... The beauty of buying with a full warranty!

So, there is nothing wrong with the hoses, but they will replace any of them for free with a hose from another maker. Sounds like an unofficial recall to me. If there is nothing wrong with the hoses, then why replace them and why another maker? Larry this chink does not look good at all. I hope you trust this nat’l guy. I changed mine because it's my life.
Now that we have heard from your SALES people, I'd like to see what Freed the hose expert finds out; after all he works with hoses everyday.

Back
Top Bottom