Permanently marking different types of gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zinc

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
It's a drag when a piece of your gear goes missing as my "wet" hooded vest did the other day during my surface interval. I hope it was picked up as an honest mistake, but since so much gear is black and various surfaces are easier to mark than others, I'd like to solicit suggestions on permanently marking different surfaces of dive gear.

What works best on....

i.e. neoprene, rubber, latex, stainless, lead, nylon webbing, etc.

Peeing works well in wetsuits. :wink:

For lead, soft weights can be marked on with a permanent marker... black or silver sharpies work well. Hard weights can be engraved or stamped with your name.

For rubber, a silver sharpie works well. Silicone... nothing really works on it for very long, I think, especially black silicone. Some people put on a slap strap on the mask that is unique.

For webbing, a paint pen of a contrasting color works well.

It's a drag when a piece of your gear goes missing as my "wet" hooded vest did the other day during my surface interval. I hope it was picked up as an honest mistake, but since so much gear is black and various surfaces are easier to mark than others, I'd like to solicit suggestions on permanently marking different surfaces of dive gear.

What works best on....

i.e. neoprene, rubber, latex, stainless, lead, nylon webbing, etc.

A white out pen works wonders on a lot of things. Not permanent on everything but long term for sure. May work great on neoprene. I have tank necks that I marked in the mid 90's that still look great. On a rough surface, such as my flashlight for work, it seeps to the bottom of the rough finish and is not easily rubbed off. I mark my reels and spools and a variety of other things with one and have been pretty happy with the results. Mark

I engrave my name into things like flashlights and my plate.

I use to mark everything a white paint permanent marker type thing grease pen. Bought it from Staples. Works great on everything and lasts, use it to mark any kind of material.

I don't mark my gear, because it always seems like I'm selling something to upgrade. The only initials on my gear are of the divers I've bought some gear from.

The only thing I've had stolen were weight pouches I left in 3' of water near shore. But I keep a good eye on all my stuff.

For me it's not keeping an eye in my stuff, it's packing it when done diving, or keeping it all on me or close on a SI.

paint pen works great, a little tape here or there works well. Or just go with the 80's hot pink pattern, youll never worry about gear confusion again

Jumbo

you can find stuff exactly like the ID-my-gear stuff from Michaels or ACMoore as well. The sell all kinds of fabric paints and I'm sure that it will be cheaper than the specialized stuff for diving. I think that stuff is called PuffyPaint- at least that what I remember from when I was a kid.

edit-
I just found it.
Tulip-dimensional-fabric-paint-1-14-ounces-puffy-yellow.aspx its a $1.77, From a place online I am finding the ID-My-gear stuff for $10.95

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom