persistant diving related sickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by scubadoc
Hello Sea Crittur:

BTW, a good cool beer after a dive is great but not when you also take Ibuprofen. This is a sure way to break down the mucous barrier of the gastric lining and getting either an ulcer or erosive gastritis.

Scubadoc,
Does the diving have anything to do with the ibuprofen and beer combo being bad or is this combination bad all the time?

Jennifer,
http://www.MichiganShipwrecks.com

hehe, well now there is an idea ... I've been to resorts where while in the swimming pool you can swim on upto the "Wet Bar" ... well now we just need some floating "Dive Bars" staffed by the local resorts mermen and mermaids... hehe ... yes? ... no? ... ok, I'll go back to work now ....

=-)

For Jenmichigan---

Diving has nothing to do with the alcohol and Ibuprofen combination causing a breakdown of the gastric mucous barrier. However, contrary to common belief, alcohol is harmful to divers when it is on board and also when imbibed the night before. For a discussion of this and references to studies of divers who have had beer between dives, go to our site on Diving medicine Online at http://www.scuba-doc.com/alch.htm .

[Edited by Ladydiver on 11-30-2000 at 07:41 PM]

This is excellent information. I'm very lucky to have found this website. Thank all of you for this information. I didn't dive the last 2 days out in the Gulf due to bad weather. I'm the Capt. and had to stay topside to run the boat. The last dive I did make however, I used a different regulator and did not have the symptoms. Has any brand of regulators been implicated in this problem? Very courious because Marti and I use the same brand regulator and John our other diver uses a different brand. He has had the sickness one time and it was ~6 months ago when his regulator was in the shop and it is quite possible he was using one of our regs. Sea Critter

ScubaDoc,
Thanks for all the great info. It just goes to prove how much you can learn from reading a couple of posts a day. I never knew that Ibuprofen and a beer could do so much damage. I've passed the info over to my roomate, whom takes pills with beer on a regular basis... the idiot has ulcers too so it all makes sence to him now... LOL

Mario

King Neptune,
I'm going to get off the subject a little, but the thread brought back some great memories:

The Copacabana in Acapulco has a great wet bar. In addition to the ability to swim over to the bar and order mixed drinks, there's also floating coolers in the pool with beer on ice.... YUMMY :)

Sea ya in the Deep Blue,
Mario

Move to General Scuba Discussions & see "Drink Boat"

You just never know!

Don

Here is the reference:

Edmonds, C. (1970) A saltwater Aspiration Syndrome. Military Medicine 135(9).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom