Persistent fear of sharks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many people are afraid of sharks, or perhaps more accurately the idea of sharks. What I've seen happen with divers that feel this way, is once they are lucky enough to see one in the water, they quickly realize what everyone said is true - the shark could care less about them and is mostly either ignoring them or swimming away. Next thing you know they're trying to get a better look and the fear thing goes right out the window. Just respect them and educate yourself - a good idea for all the critters. (Don't do something silly like pull the tail of a nurse shark because they seem so harmless - I know someone who did this, an avid but clueless snorkeler.)

Of course you can go on special shark feeding dives or to locations that are very sharkey, and then you'll see more sharks closer that may hang around longer. But you have to make a point of doing this, and the sharks still don't care about you or anything other than the food or whatever brings them to that spot.

You probably had a greater chance of shark "attack" while snorkeling or swimming. While diving, many sharks avoid humans due to a number of factors including the regulator noise. If they overcome that fear, they may approach closer for a better look but most keep their distance unless they are very accustomed to the presence of divers. I'd recommend not spear fishing as that activity does give them reason (hunger) to come closer and possibly nip a bit (but generally at what's on the stringer).

Being "afraid" of sharks is like being afraid of wolfs or bears or any other animal big enough and with the equipment to hurt you even if by accident. With over 2000 dives would I be afraid of Large Marge swimming nearby me? She’s a 18’ Great White that summers off the coast of Cape Cod; damn straight I would be, quite probably terrified especially if I were solo; nobody to push in front of the shark! She could hurt a human with her tail never mind her teeth. She did bite then let go of a swimmers leg in Touro I think a few years ago.

How fear is handled is often called courage. So do you have courage? Do you want to face your fear or run and hide from it? You already answered that I think; now you want encouragement.

It is a fact that being on the surface puts one in more danger of being accidently bitten by a shark then being underwater. You posted you have been snorkeling, so your current activity puts you at greater risk than being down there with them where you are safer!
We divers have a lot of electronic gear these days, remote SPGs, PDCs, digital cameras and video recorders. Sharks are very sensitive to these kinds of signals; those signals may confuse a shark to the point of wanting nothing to do with us. Never heard of any studies on it but it would be worth a study.

I have a credo I’ve lived by for all my life: Never be so afraid of dying that you never get a chance to live.

Now go learn how to dive and enjoy life before it’s over! Good luck with your class!
Agree with you on everything. Despite the fact that my desire to never run across a shark in the wild holds equally true for bears and wolves. That could easily have occurred in my 25 years in Northern Manitoba, but it didn't keep me out of the Boreal Forest. COURAGE, as you say.

I read a statistic the other day:
Death from attack by pigs is 200x more likely than being et by a Shark.

It plays to a primal fear, "Being eaten alive", which has lost its true meaning as we often use it in reference to Mosquitos.

I try to allay fears in my Ocean students in regards to Sharks... Don't worry about them, you're much more likely to get very ill or die from a microbial infections which are invisibly abundant in the Ocean in which Sharks are pooping.

The ocean is "infested with them".

That makes them worry even more :wink:

Some of my most memorable dives have been the ones with serendipitous shark sightings. They have been far more memorable than "planned" shark dives that I have done in the Bahamas.

I did not have to wonder very long how it would feel to encounter a shark while diving. My first scuba experience was a "resort course" dive in Cozumel in 2001. On my very first dive, we came over a mound of brain coral and got to watch a large nurse shark on its back, working on a crustacean of some sort deep in a rock crevice. Once it finished its lunch, it saw us and swam off quickly.

In 2006, I had the pleasure to dive outside of Ketchikan, Alaska. On the first dive of the day, I turned my head to see a small spiny dogfish shark swimming beside me at a distance of three or four feet. Again, it seemed to make a beeline in a different direction as soon as it seemed to be aware that I was aware of it.

In 2010, I got to dive at Sodwana Bay, South Africa. On the way to the dive site, we came across a whale shark and got to snorkel with it for a few minutes before progressing on to the intended dive site.

Also on that trip in 2010, I was able to go cage diving with Great Whites in Simonstown, South Africa (amazing to see them!). We had three or four of them at 3.5m to 4m each around the cage for the whole time. Got to see them breaching both going after real seals and a decoy, and eventually got to see them from the safety of the cage. Kind of cool now to watch Shark Week and recognize the boat and crew in some of the documentaries.

Last year (Nov 2014), my daughter got her Jr Open Water card and we did a shark feeding dive in Bahamas, as well as some reef dives on nearby sites. She had not been old enough to go in the cage in South Africa, so she wanted to see sharks in the water for herself. The Caribbean reef sharks were quite obviously conditioned to the sound of divers entering the water. They came from all directions. When no diver wearing chain mail and carrying a tube of bait entered, they all swam off and paid us no further attention. If the guy with the food canister showed up, they stuck around for the show. My daughter got her wish, but we won't be doing any more shark feeding dives ever again.

For me anyway, the serendipitous sightings are far more memorable in that I got to see far more natural behaviours. Especially when I got to see how conditioned the sharks near feeding sites can become. My first couple of sightings reaffirmed just how little they cared about my presence. The Great Whites though??? Memorable no matter what!

Snorkeling on Maui? Near Olawalu? You were probably at far greater risk from the Tiger Sharks underneath you trying to decide if you're a big turtle than you will be if you dive there.

Because you're about their size, smell bad (neoprene) make noises that are playing havoc with their Ampules of Lorenzini (sensory organs) and make mechanical noises when you breath. Most probably will take off before you'd ever get near them.

Snorkeling on Maui would scare me more than diving. Count the number of diver attacks. Now count the number of snorkel/surfer attacks. I rest my case.

I love to photograph sharks. This one was taken inside a wreck that was full of so many sharks I could not move inside it without bumping into them. I do not find them to be aggressive at all. You would be really lucky if you saw one without actually searching for them.

1186159_10151842837478523_1842654954_n.jpg

Many people are afraid of sharks, or perhaps more accurately the idea of sharks. What I've seen happen with divers that feel this way, is once they are lucky enough to see one in the water, they quickly realize what everyone said is true - the shark could care less about them and is mostly either ignoring them or swimming away. Next thing you know they're trying to get a better look and the fear thing goes right out the window. Just respect them and educate yourself - a good idea for all the critters. (Don't do something silly like pull the tail of a nurse shark because they seem so harmless - I know someone who did this, an avid but clueless snorkeler.)

Of course you can go on special shark feeding dives or to locations that are very sharkey, and then you'll see more sharks closer that may hang around longer. But you have to make a point of doing this, and the sharks still don't care about you or anything other than the food or whatever brings them to that spot.

You've gotten a lot of the typical answers you should get, but not all of the answers you need.

The idea that you'll be lucky to ever see a shark, that they are like puppies... well.... that really all depends on how much diving you end up doing and how far flung it is on this planet. Like driving a car, you can drive to work and to and fro the mall and take the kids to soccer for years and years and never have a problem, but that doesn't mean someday you can't be broadsided by a drunk driver.

This is the same with sharks. For the most part, most species of sharks are more scared of you then you are of them and you'll never really get very close. However, that doesn't mean you can't eventually have an encounter very different than what 99% of encounters are typically like. The more diving you do, the more variety of locations you dive, the odds are going up that your encounter might change.

There are more elements than just the average shark and the average environment that can effect an encounter. One of the single most influential things that effect how sharks will interact with humans is how humans have been interacting with them and that is through changing their behavior through feeding. When shark feeding goes on it changes sharks dramatically. Another influence is spear fishing. Both of these can dramatically change shark behavior from boring sharks that stay far away from you, that you're lucky to get a good look at them, to sharks that come right up to you eye ball to eye ball to check you out, bump you and more. I've personally batted sharks away from me who were obviously fed and now associate humans with food and get very aggressive and curious. I've also dived waters as close and as mundane as the waters of Jupiter Florida where sharks when they hear a spear gun go off will b-line it to that area, checking out every diver they home in on to see if they have a catch that they can try to steal, those encounters will not be the typical shark at 30 feet keeping it's distance from you, those encounters can be a shark within 12-18 inches of you, big and in your face.

I've never been bitten by any sharks on any encounters but I've certainly had sharks way too close to my personal space to the point of them making me nervous and not liking it as they are big powerful animals that can change your life in an instant.

So while nobody wants to get your more nervous about sharks, I will be honest with you and let you know the puppy dog encounters many people associate with sharks isn't always going to be the case. Just like being hit by a drunk driver, the more driving (diving) you do in the more places the higher the chances of having an encounter out of the norm. The norm should be that sharks keep their distance from you, that doesn't mean this can't change because it certainly can. Keep in mind we aren't talking about a shark attacking or biting you, just that your encounter may not be totally boring.

Reactions: Doc
mmmbelows hits the nail on the head. Yes, there are amazing statistics about what is more likely to kill you than a shark. And other equally or more dangerous sea life. Like the iricongi (sp?) octopus, which is in Australia. It is almost microscopic and can apparently kill you with a touch (a worse critter than it's cousin the Blue Ringed Octopus, which apparently also is no picnic). You just have to be aware of your surroundings when diving (though you can't see Mr. Iricongi...). I was told of a place on the FL panhandle that at certain times had so many sharks you could walk on them. But a great place to shell collect. I did the dives, but boy was I aware. There's always a risk. I have probably the least fear of flying as anyone (other than all the airline screw-ups last 20 years). But I wouldn't get on a plane unless I had to go somewhere. Also wouldn't sit under a coconut tree.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom