Persistent fear of sharks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are not prey under the water. We are almost as big, and swim calmly, so they see is as equals.

These Great Whites that cruise the coast of Cape Cod are considerably bigger than my 5’8”. The biggest being 18’ and over 3000lbs; one would have to make themselves look really big to intimidate that girl with size! Even the 10’ Sand Tiger I had by the tail in NC flipped me off like nothing with one flick of the tail.

Last edited:
I was certified in freshwater so i didn't really think about sharks until my first ocean dive. Then on my first ocean dive (that was in Florida during peak jellyfish season) I got stung so many times (nothing serious just painful) that i realized that sharks aren't that bad. The one shark i did see (4 foot hammerhead) just ran.
Yeah I've had a few experiences with jellies while in my shorty. Other than the ones I mentioned earlier, there probably are very few that will kill you, and they don't swim, they drift. I try to avoid them, as I do with sharks. I like stuff that can't (seriously) hurt me. As a shell collector, I know certain cone shells (Textile particularly) can have a very serious sting. But they don't move like sharks either.

You are not prey under the water. We are almost as big, and swim calmly, so they see is as equals.

That statement will easily go right out the window in about 30 seconds under certain conditions. Someone believing that just hasn't had enough experiences yet if you still think you're above sharks in the food chain when you're swimming in their environment. You might be their equal or superior when you're safely in a boat but not swimming in their world, they've got you at a huge disadvantage. A darn trigger fish can educate you really quickly how we aren't many marine life's peers.

That statement will easily go right out the window in about 30 seconds under certain conditions. Someone believing that just hasn't had enough experiences yet if you still think you're above sharks in the food chain when you're swimming in their environment. You might be their equal or superior when you're safely in a boat but not swimming in their world, they've got you at a huge disadvantage. A darn trigger fish can educate you really quickly how we aren't many marine life's peers.

SCUBA divers are not prey underwater. But without getting into shark wrestling scenarios, we simply are not on their plate for dinner in all but the oddest circumstance. This is evidenced by the many, many uneventful encounters and the fact that whether you see them or not, they are there and seem not to want to take advantage of the SCUBA diver and somehow we seem to remain uneaten and whole. So, certainly there are places and times where a shark can be dangerous to a diver but let's not get away from the OPs plea. There is no reason for her to fear sharks in the course of normal recreational SCUBA and she will be quite lucky to even see one. Rather than planning how to out wrestle one or how to kill a beautiful shark, I would prefer to admire them and yes respect them but fear, no.

N

Yeah I've had a few experiences with jellies while in my shorty. Other than the ones I mentioned earlier, there probably are very few that will kill you, and they don't swim, they drift. I try to avoid them, as I do with sharks. I like stuff that can't (seriously) hurt me. As a shell collector, I know certain cone shells (Textile particularly) can have a very serious sting. But they don't move like sharks either.

It was pretty rough water that day they where hard to avoid. I had never seen them that densely populated before. I will admit thousands of jellys are vary pretty. if i would go again I would wear a .5 mil wet suit. Oh and to anyone new DO NOT WASH STINGS WITH FRESH WATER!!! I was warned but...:dork2:

Last edited:
I don't think many divers plan on how to out-wrestle or kill a shark. The "shark" thread has appeared so many times with the same general conclusions. We should not fear scuba diving because there may be a shark there. We are not (NORMALLY) on their menu. Shark attacks/fatalities are extremely rare, and even way more so for divers as opposed to others in the water. Then there are those who point out all the problems man has caused sharks over the decades. And those who consider it a blessing to be able to find and get up close with a shark or a whole mess of them. And the odd guy like me who wants nothing to do with them. It's kinda like finding a way we all can agree on the issue of abortion within the next century. I won't avoid diving because I really don't want to run into a shark. In Northern Manitoba I never avoided walking in the forest though I knew there well could be a black bear awaiting me (they're not always just rummaging at the dump). OTOH, I didn't purposely walk in those woods to seek out bears. Everyone has their own point of view.

There's no sense rationalizing or explaining this. There are places that the OP can go that don't have sharks. you can typically get your cert diving in freshwater and get used to things. Spending your intro dives doing mask clears while trying to avoid drowning and look for great whites is going to not be fun.

I have the same fear on top of the water - snorkelling and swimming. When you get under it is the most tranquil experience and seeing a shark is a bonus! The bubbles scare some sharks non-dangerous Sharks off anyway, reef tips, raggies etc which is annoying if you are trying to spot them! Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom