Personal best for the year

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Gidds, Congrats on the pb! It's always fun to increase the numbers. Take care and be safe. If you need pointers to get even deeper yet, doesn't hurt to ask. Most of all, be careful and keep your buddy close. Best thing I can suggest is to get together with an experienced freediver... they could help you get to 45' easily on day one if your ears will allow it.

25' last night :multi: I can only hold my breath for 45 secs. if I am actually using the stopwatch, feels longer if I don't bother with it and I can hear my heart rate slow while I don't really need to go dashing to the surface :D 45' here I come and watch out fishes :evil:

Yep, freediving can be fun.

congrats.... shoot, 45 second breath hold will get you to 60' (and back) easy with the right skills and equipment

I need different fins and better skills :wink:

I got faith in ya :winky: ... I'm just saying... some people think that you have to hold your breath forever in order to get below 10' (or 30ish), but not so..

Congrats on the PB.

When doing statics, it takes quite a bit of self discipline to let time be just what it is. Doing static tolerence tables works on that. When doing dry statics, I use my headphones with my computer and use an application that is web based to control how long the session will last - sorta like a personalized cybertrainer I'm not very good at statics, but decided to start doing the tables twice a week in conjunction with my pool sessions. It is making a difference.

As much as most divers poo poo any sort of yoga, doing pranayama yoga on a consistent basis does help with removing the awareness of time ticking by. I have read a book called "The Power Of Now" and it really delves into the psychological aspects of being what the author terms as The Now. No regretting the past, nor dreading the future. Being Present. Having an awareness of that takes some practice, but it does more or less equate to what Umberto's Freediving Manual discusses. When I eventually go for a personal best, I will probably do it dry static with a breathe up. You will find that you hit a sweet spot on the statics before they become more difficult.

As far as gear goes - yeah - get freedive specific gear - it will make all the difference. Some here have stated that freediving fins aren't efficient.. blah blah blah. Well, I know for a fact that freediving isn't scuba and vice-versa. The techniques involved are different and call for different, although similar looking, equipment. The entry fee for gear is minimal compared to scuba so look into that if you can. Gear anxiety is a contributing factor to people not enjoying the past time.

HTH,

5ata:
Congrats on the PB.
Well, I know for a fact that freediving isn't scuba and vice-versa. The techniques involved are different and call for different, although similar looking, equipment.
HTH,

Oh really? Let's see... I often use the same wetsuit, socks, hood, gloves, weightbelt, knife, mask, fins, snorkel, light and speargun for both SCUBA and freediving. Why would you think they need to be different?

If it works for ya, cool!

I prefer to use gear that is designed for a given activity - I equate it to using downhill skis to try and cross country ski - you can do it, but not near as well as with actual skinny skis...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom