Personal equipment versus rental

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TMJJS

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My wife, oldest son and I just got certified for a trip we are going on in about a week. We bought the fins, mask, snorkel and boots, but nothing else yet. We plan on renting the rest of our SCUBA gear while on vacation.

My question is there any other personal equipment we should be bringing with us to use with the rental gear? Some things I'm wondering about:
Knives/shears
Signaling devices
Writing tablets
Tank noise makers

Thank you in advance for all replies!

Where are you going? Depending on the location you may want to buy signaling devices.

Safety Sausage, Dive Alert signal, Shears, and your own wetsuit. For tropical locations a 1mm fullsuit is what I use, some people do use shorties, but I prefer the full body scrape, sting, and thermal protection a full suit gives, you can pick these up for around $70. Remember even in tropical water you can get chilled in 75 degree temps.

I agree make sure that you have a safety sausage, knife or shears, whistle, and Dan card. If you are prone to seasickness take something in advance. Nothing can ruin a dive more than being sick on the boat. Cheap insurance for when the what ever happens.
My best advise would be to think for yourself. If something does not feel right, think about it and make your best decision.
I always like to bring sweat shirt, or something warm to put on for the ride back. Diving makes most people hungry so snacks also.
Enjoy your new adventure..

I agree with the above, definitely get safety equipment.

Thanks for all the replies!

I just signed up for the DAN membership! Will look into the other items this week.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom