Personal locating devices.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For what it's worth, you NEVER need a license to transmit on the emergency bands (IF there is an emergency) anywhere in the world, as far as I know and certainly in the USA. Either way, the fine/sentence for "illegally" using a radio is way better than being lost at sea. I wouldn't worry about having a license if that's what's preventing you from buying VHF/UHF. I'd be more concerned about effective range on the water than anything else.

PLBs that transmit to a satellite are far more likely to be effective unless you happen to be in/near a very well used shipping lane or quite close to shore.

Just wondering anybody dive with a spot or someother device? Are there any water proof units that can be put in a pocket? When you see stories about drifting away from boat ,or being left behind,you could activate and get help.

I think it was in December's Dive Log magazine there was an article about it been used on a commercial operation for a live aboard vessel in Cairns. The way that it has been done seem to be pretty advance in terms of sizing and what the actual device features are.

How about a compass?
You really are living with your head in the sand. We're not talking about diving in a tiny quarry here.
I suppose if you're drifting miles out in the ocean as prevailing winds and currents take you further away, the lense of the compass might act like a signal mirror. That is provided somebody realizes your in trouble and gone missing and they or the authorities can figure out the possible path and get to a position where they are able to see the reflection. Problem is, The further away the wider the cone of uncertainty. That is where devises of this type come into their own.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom