Peter Hughes Wind Dancer Cocos July 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think my comments are about the divers specifically and not the undersea hunter. they give dive briefings every time and tell everyone over and over "no solo. no blue." in other words, don't go off by yourself, and don't do off into the blue water. these divers went off by themselves. i don't know what else they could do. personal responsibility has to come into play at some point...

I think at this time of year, Cocos "summer" conditions are very mild and calm. We were there in March last year and it was like glass. However, in July conditions will be very different.
I totally agree with Matt215 - USH group is very safety conscious and all incidents that I have witnessed were due to diver stupidity. You can brief and talk till you are blue in the face, but that doesn't mean they will listen.

Fair enough, some divers wont listen, although after 6 years of leading dives professionally I have yet to meet one that was stupid enough to do 150 feet on nitrox, and plan to keep it that way.

Hammerheads, White Tips, Black Tips, Silver tips and Galapagos sharks last week... also Mobula Rays and even a Sailfish... gotta love cocos!

We will not get into which diver operator is best and the way it works is that a lot of the guides move around from one dive boat to another anyway so they have experience.
We will simply say if you have a chance to go,go!!!. We were with a group this past october and saw hundreds of hammys,other assorted sharks and two whale shark encounters.
We had a new diver from France who was just fine just pay attention to your air and bottom time and you should be ok. I dove a 3mm suit in October and except for some thermals was warm, bring a vest and hood if concerned.
R]We are taking a group out to Socorro this December on the Nautilus Explorer and hope to see more of the Sharks and Pacific Mantas and still have room if anyone wants to come along.
Visit our site @ Home and click Travel 2010 Trips:D

Back
Top Bottom