Petosky(sp?) Ice Dive, should I do it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaCollin

Reaction score
Hey guys, I live in Sault Ste Marie and every year there is a dive down in petosky, its an ice dive and they have paramedics and everything waiting if anything happens. Its only in 30 feet of water.

AAAnyway, I know a guy that does it every year, and Ive been dieing to get some diving in over the winter. He said If I were to go and do 3 10 minute dives with him, hed certify me as an ice diver.

Now Im used to diving in cold waters, I was diving while the ice was forming, but I want to know if it would be smart to do it while the everything is frozen over?

I have a cold water reg and equipment so thats all fine, Im only worried about mental preparation.

ScubaCollin:
AAAnyway, I know a guy that does it every year, and Ive been dieing to get some diving in over the winter. He said If I were to go and do 3 10 minute dives with him, hed certify me as an ice diver.

Is there more to it than that? Some preliminary preparation and education perhaps? Or just jump in the hole and go swimming to be certified? Do you already have some experience in an overhead environment?

As written, it doesn't sound particularly educational.

Three things.

First if you have to ask others if you’re ready, you’re not.

Second just diving under ice is a recipe for disaster if you don’t get the training first.

Third, as a PSD that is the only training we re-certify in EVERY YEAR. So that should tell you something.

It isn’t a trust me dive like the little you have posted has implied. Get trained properly first.

Gary D.

Three things.

First if you have to ask others if you’re ready, you’re not.

Second just diving under ice is a recipe for disaster if you don’t get the training first.

Third, as a PSD that is the only training we re-certify in EVERY YEAR. So that should tell you something.

It isn’t a trust me dive like the little you have posted has implied. Get trained properly first.

Gary D.
What he said is the way to go.

If this guy is an actual ice instructor (this being pretty important) ice diving is absolutely AMAZING...absolutely do it.

But the course is a bit more than just dipping in, and alarm bells start ringing when I hear that there's paramedics on site (but then again, it is in Quebec, isn't it - might be regulation, dunno)

If its a legit instructor, and a legit course, you'll be glad you did it - if it's not - it's a dangerous type of dive to monkey around with improperly done.

ScubaCollin:
Its only in 30 feet of water.

What's that got to do with it? Would it be any more dangerous if the water was 300' or 3000' deep? Nope! It's the small opening over your head that isn't solid that should be a concern not the depth. Proper training will make sure you get re-aquatinted with that opening.

It is a lot of fun but it takes some classroom first. Our refresher book is roughly 20 pages thick plus the dives. The process takes two days for a re-certification. A little more than 3-10 minute dives.

Do your homework.

Gary D.

The guy is a PADI instructor, he said he take me in for 3 10 minute dives then hed certify me. I would feel more confertable in 30 feet than I would in say 100.

I think it would be nice to get my ice diving cert. I cant stand not being able to dive over the winter, Im going crazy lol

opiniongirl:
If this guy is an actual ice instructor (this being pretty important) ice diving is absolutely AMAZING...absolutely do it.

But the course is a bit more than just dipping in, and alarm bells start ringing when I hear that there's paramedics on site (but then again, it is in Quebec, isn't it - might be regulation, dunno)

If its a legit instructor, and a legit course, you'll be glad you did it - if it's not - it's a dangerous type of dive to monkey around with improperly done.

I think the paramedics are there because its a huge ice dive event, i think he said there would be 40 divers doing this dive, its an anual thing. They clear off the snow ontop, so bystanders can look at the people diving.

Im also wondering if i should get a drysuit, like I said, I was diving when ice was forming on the water, and I had to open my wetsuit because I was so hot, do people dive with wetsuits while ice diving?

Hi there ScubaCollin -

As you asked for opinions: if you are concerned about how deep the water is below you on an ice dive then IMOA you're not ready.

ScubaCollin:
I think the paramedics are there because its a huge ice dive event, i think he said there would be 40 divers doing this dive, its an anual thing. They clear off the snow ontop, so bystanders can look at the people diving.

Im also wondering if i should get a drysuit, like I said, I was diving when ice was forming on the water, and I had to open my wetsuit because I was so hot, do people dive with wetsuits while ice diving?

This sounds like a recipe for disaster - herds of divers in the water and a cast of thousands on the ice above. Ice diving is good fun – but please get proper 1 to 1 training: there’s a lot to learn because there many different ways you can die.

If I was in your boots (16 years, eager to learn and push the level of your experience) I would seriously consider setting ice diving as a goal to achive next winter and set some steps between now and then to reach that goal:

Get a drysuit and training and dive it until you are comfortable (around 20 dives): you first ice dive is no place to learn how to use a drysuit! You can ice dive in a wet suit- you pour hot water into it, but it still gets very painful very fast.

Do some simple penetration dives and get the experience, training and attitude to safely dive an overhead environment.

Training in dry suit diving and overhead environments will set you up really well for a whole range of new diving experiences.

Then next winter sign in on an ice diving course and enjoy being toasty warm in a drysuit!

Just my 2 cents worth….

Safe diving,
Rohan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom