petting a manatee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went with American pro. They had a manatee snorkel/cavern dive deal in Crystal river for $50. I heard Birds is also good, but American pro (along with the required pre-dive video) offered a PADI Specialty card class. It was very educational too (and only $35)...even got a c-card
:dork2:

Manatee Specialty Class - the Endangered Manatee

Not ever having pet a manatee, I don't see the point. My personal feelings about messing with underwater wildlife is that if you are not going to kill them for food, leave them alone.

Not ever having pet a manatee, I don't see the point. My personal feelings about messing with underwater wildlife is that if you are not going to kill them for food, leave them alone.

Normally I would agree with you but manatees are almost like dogs. They seem to really like interaction with people and will actively seek you out. It is common for them to bring their young up to you, if there was any chance they did not like people or felt threatened in any way, they certainly would not bring their young up to you. I have had this happen on multiple occasions. I guess it's just nice to interact with wild amimals on their terms.

You are not supposed to touch them. However, like others have said, I also had a manatee come up to me and touch against me. I had a mother manatee show off her calf and swim next to me. Kind of sobering since they are the size of your living room couch. They aren't very smart and they sure are lovable creatures. We had one that wouldn't leave the boat, so we had to swim away pulling the boat to leave the manatee behind.

I had to come in here and share our experience tonight. Had my children with me and was going to swim out and get a couple quick night free dives in and shoot some fish. We were at a local hot spot for tourists. I was gearing up in the water as usual, and I see a manatee headed straight for me. Normally I see them and they pass right by like two strangers on the street at this particular spot. We share a glance but thats it.

As I reached for my mask, the manatee stopped and started rubbing up against me. Like a dog would, rubbing its back against you. My children saw it and asked if it bit me. NOPE. So I hung there for 10 min while it used me as a scratching post. Every couple minutes it would swim 5 feet from me, come up for air, look at me then come back in. Finally I had enough. So I rubbed it back. It went belly up a few times for me and then my children (mature & respectful are words I use to describe them) realized what was happening and they came over. One by one the manatee approached my kids and started the scratching post routine.

We were all standing in 3'-4' of water. So for about an hour and a half, the manatee would circle away and then come back to us and have us rub it as it leaned against us. I didn't get my night dive in. We stood on the shore line watching the manatee as it stayed right there and watched us, like it was asking us to come back and play.

Some things I did do while we were interacting with it. I made sure to do the normal DO NOT RIDE, DO NOT TRAP, DO NOT ENCIRCLE, etc. all the commonsense things. No splashing, yelling, screaming, feeding... One thing I did do that I know most do not was a quick inspection of cuts and damage. There was not any recent visible open wounds that would lead me to believe it was there for help. There were some older scaring on its back and underside. The sea growth on its back seemed healthy and weren't any visible sea parasites on it.

One thing that did concern me though was that I thought it looked like a young one. I mean it was ~6' in length but still seemed juvenile to me. I kept thinking its mother should be here somewhere and it was waiting for her or was seeking attention since its mother was gone?

Anyways, I did feel bad about leaving it when we did. It seemed like it wanted us to hang around longer. After 10 min on the shore staring at eachother, we started walking back to our vehicle. It too was swimming our path and would surface to watch us as we walked. The kids and I sat in the vehicle for another 30min and watched the manatee do its circles back and forth where it saw us last as we entered our vehicle. Eventually We left. Still feel like I just left my dog though. My daughters asked if it could live in our pool if its mommy left it, we could adopt it they said. :smack:

American Pro Dive does the best there in Kings Bay. Captain Phil went over all the rules and we had a great time. Snorkeling only, manatee must engage you and no circling them or cutting off their way of escape. We as a group were practically mauled by all the manatees wanting rubs and such. This area is very well managed in the fact they have sanctuary areas they can go to if they no longer want to interact with people and they also have the volunteer rangers out there in kayaks monitoring.

Get close to them and they willl harrass you....I have had them chase ME down and insist that I scratch them. Reminded me of my old Lab.. It is illegeal to harass them but when one comes up to you and insist you scratch it, that can't be harassment. Go to Birds Underwater, these guys run a great op and make a living having people pet manatees. Bird's Underwater Manatee Tours - BOOK ONLINE!

Plus one for Birds Underwater - went with them last year during the manatee "season" (approx Jan - Mar) and had a great trip with them. They informed us of the rules and regs and we had all the time we wanted in the water with the manatees. It was OK to scratch the manatees if they come up to you and directly interact with you.

I went with American pro. They had a manatee snorkel/cavern dive deal in Crystal river for $50. I heard Birds is also good, but American pro (along with the required pre-dive video) offered a PADI Specialty card class. It was very educational too (and only $35)...even got a c-card
:dork2:

Manatee Specialty Class - the Endangered Manatee
Geez - what will PADI come up with next for a money making "specialty" course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom