Phase I: Guinness Record

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SpyderTek once bubbled...
Probably stupid questions...

Not at all. Frankly, there's not a lot of topics that I'd rather talk about than the world record attempt.

1) What is the current record for submersion now? I dont mean on SCUBA but say just under depth and pressure? Submarine or in something like "the rig" in the movie The Deep?

Unfortunately, that's another record... Not one that I know the answer to. If I'm not mistaken, however, I believe that it was a world record recently when the scientists of the Aquarius project recently stayed in their habitat at about 35 feet underwater for a straight ten days, without surfacing, as a saturation study with Duke University. I'll be traveling to Duke and doing some hyperbaric studies with them in the next month... I'll ask them.

Between you and me, that sounds awfully short, though... Certainly there's been deep sea mining operations that have required longer stays - and longer decompressions - than ten days.

It would be interesting to check out, though... Interesting to find out if my attempt broke multiple records simultaneously.

The problems that I've had to address, however, have less to do with the longevity of pressure (my plan is for a max depth of about 20 feet) than the longevity of being weightless and wet for so long. Neither of those things are issues on a sub or in a habitat, and so aren't really related.

The longest single dive I've personally ever done was about 4 hours on a hookah rig. On SCUBA, I've done some shallow stuff in the vicinity of about 3 hours, without changing tanks.

Neither of these are real tests for the world record attempt... Which is why the actual attempt is "Phase 5" and not "Phase 1."

2) How is it appreciably different to spend the time submerged on SCUBA vs. submersable if you are receiving surface support for air and other consumables?

Well, the Guinness Book definitely calls it different... And I'm playing by their rules.

But the real answer to your question is that in a submersible (i.e. submarine or habitat) you're generally dry... With SCUBA gear I'll be basically swimming for two weeks.

"Surface support," by the way, doesn't mean "hookah rig." My rig must be self-contained to qualify as SCUBA... Although I'm allowed to switch tanks. The support crew will be constantly throwing in tanks, and retrieving the ones that float (empties).

3) How can you POSSIBLY expect 24 tanks to last you 14, heck even the original 9, days? Or is the 24 tanks just for phase I dive of 24 hours?

Yeah, the 24 tanks are planned for the 24 hour dive. I won't actually use 24 tanks... I'll be in the vicinity of about 18, really. The extras are for surface support divers and redundant tanks in case we have a problem.

However, the Phase 5 dive... The attempt... Will probably only use 30 or so tanks and instead rely on surface support for fills. We'll see how 24 work out and make a decision from there.

There are other tanks as well... I didn't mention them because they were not donated by the shop in question... They're much larger, and capable of providing me a full 8 hours of sleep on one tank.

4) If you just want to do it on SCUBA and other factors be damded why do it on tanks when you can get so much more time on rebreather?

Great question.

The real answer to that question is that a rebreather might not qualify for the record... That's another record in and of itself, I believe, which I am not familiar with. (Sounds interesting, though.)

But I have not considered using a rebreather because of the fact that they're more difficult to obtain and I am not trained to use them yet. We're talking in the tens of thousands of dollars here, and that's not something that I yet have to spend on this attempt.

Likely a rebreather will be a consideration for the other phases, once I can prove viability in this record and I can get them donated. For now, I have to work with what I have.

But aside from that, the bottom line is that I believe in a simplistic dive philosophy... And a rebreather, I feel, is inappropriate for this dive due to it's cost and complexity, and difficulty in switching from rig to rig. With a rebreather, you're talking about purging, filling, packing, repacking, and the like... And with the necessary 2 to 4 units that would have to be present, an expense of some $30,000 or so, not including the classes... For me and all support staff. The idea would seem very gear-dependent, rather than simple and clean and available like standardized scuba gear that I'll be using.

...serious questions not trolling from a fellow life long dreamer of record breaking.

Spydertek

Very cool. When are you going to join the ranks of world record holders? This is gonna be my shot... At least, the first one. :)

since the size of the tank isn't truly an issue as long as you can wear it - have you considered a couple of very big doubles form the sleep periods?? i was thinking of 2 big omses pumped to 4000 - should give you a few hours sleep at a time eh? wakeing up every hour to change rigs is going to leave you in pretty bad shape after a couple of days - ask any father of newborns.

ps: i like the idea and i think you're nucking futs.

Hey SeaJay you forgot one thing

6. Need someone to donate money to buy Sebastian an airline ticket to the USA :D

Seriously that is so cool, whish I could be there

"Nucking futs." That's hilarious!

I consider it a compliment! :D

I will tell you, though, that I just cruised over to the Guinness Book website and had a poke around there for a while... Guys blowing bubbles with spiders in their mouths? Eating metal? Eye popping? Jeez... I don't know that I wanna be associated with these freaks! :(

Ah, well... The world's largest bungie jump was cool, as was the world's largest skydiving formation. I laughed out loud at the worlds longest automobile jump... With trailer attached. LOL! The world's fastest street luge looked like fun (rocket powered) and the bearded lady was just plain gross. The world's largest motorcycle group (same make and model) of 118 looked easy to beat. I once led a group of about 150 through the deserts of Arizona every Friday and Saturday night... Although they were all riding different make/model bikes. With some coordination, though...

Hey, at least when someone asks me, "why," I don't have to feel guilty when I say, "Because I've always wanted to." It looks like there's lots of stupider reasons out there.

What in the world would someone want to be the "world's most plastic-surgery person" for, though?

Weirdos. :D <laughs at self>

At least there's people going after REAL records... You know, like the world land speed record, the world's deepest dive... The world's highest skydive... You know, COOL stuff.

I did take a note, though, that the "most people ever to attend an underwater wedding" was 39. That's right... Only 39 divers were present underwater to watch two scuba divers get married... And that was a world record.

Here's what I'm thinkin'... RavenC and I have been going together for a while... If she and I DO end up tying the knot one day, we could announce it at Scubaboard... And do a "Scubaboard get together" and SeaJay/RavenC wedding at, say, Ginnie Springs or Key Largo or something... And easily break that record.

How cool would it be to be a part of that? Good excuse to go diving, no? :)

I think with a little effort, we can nab more than a few world records...

Might have to keep an eye out, though, for the dude that kisses snakes. He's weird. :D

Sounds like an awesome record breaking attempt.
That one dive would log more bottom time than most divers I know have to date.
More than 500 40 minute dives.

The wedding record seems really easy to beat.
Maye do a multiple wedding.

Let me know when and were you do it, if I am near there I will do my best to be there to help!

If you do the wedding. Let me know. My gf and I will be there! Her and I were discussing getting married in the living seas at Epcot (if they let us) So our family and friends could watch from outside the tank.

Take care and good luck!

SeaJay once bubbled...
"
At least there's people going after REAL records... You know, like the world land speed record, the world's deepest dive... The world's highest skydive... You know, COOL stuff.

I did take a note, though, that the "most people ever to attend an underwater wedding" was 39. That's right... Only 39 divers were present underwater to watch two scuba divers get married... And that was a world record.

Here's what I'm thinkin'... RavenC and I have been going together for a while... If she and I DO end up tying the knot one day, we could announce it at Scubaboard... And do a "Scubaboard get together" and SeaJay/RavenC wedding at, say, Ginnie Springs or Key Largo or something... And easily break that record.

the wedding part sound like ( to me) a little like watching your mother in law drive off the cliff in your new mercedes - yeh you got the record but......

it's going to be hard to bust the highest skydive unless you get a ride on the shuttle - it's around 100,000 ft, the guy went super sonic in freefall!!

Have you talked to Marineland of Florida?
There small, and scuba friendly.

Good luck man!!!

Have you talked to DAN? They maybe able to to do some test (reaserch) on you and help w/ the funding, just a thought. Heck and that way you might be able to help everyone.

I just read about an MP3 player you can use underwater, I'd ck that out too.
Again, good luck.

HarleyDiver once bubbled...
Have you talked to Marineland of Florida?
There small, and scuba friendly.

Yes. They're one of the seven parks that are interested in the event. I'm confident that Phase 5 will happen at one of those parks. Epcot is a player, too.

I have not talked to them about doing the 24 hour dive there, though... Lemme see what I can do...

WaterDawg once bubbled...
Have you talked to DAN? They maybe able to to do some test (reaserch) on you and help w/ the funding, just a thought. Heck and that way you might be able to help everyone.

Hm. No, I haven't thought of that... I am doing some hyperbaric research stuff with them in the next month or so, and I could always talk to them then about the dive. You're right... Certainly they would be interested. It never occurred to me that there might be any scientific value to what I'm doing. We'll see if they've got any interest...

Great ideas, y'all...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom