Phase I: Guinness Record

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What's the world record for longest post in a thread? You've probably beaten that record several times over!!

Will this be a solo dive?

Wendy once bubbled...
What's the world record for longest post in a thread? You've probably beaten that record several times over!!

Hey, yeah! Maybe I already HAVE a world record. :D Funny. :D

Will this be a solo dive?

Hey, now... I hear you trying to catch me on that one. :D You still mad at me for pokin' fun of your PERCEIVED body position at Little Devil? (By the way, I dove it last weekend, and I found it safer to exit and enter some spots at Little Devil while vertical. I thought about it and was thankful you didn't see me do that. :D)

No, this will be far from a solo dive. A good portion of the time I will have a variety of buddies in the water with me... Surface support will, no doubt, be in the water with me often.

But the entire time I'm in the water there will be someone topside ready for anything and everything... No doubt they'll be quite busy handling air fills and gas management, food preparation and waste management. They'll also have the responsibility of handling the water system, including salinity and temperature and other water conditions. For the Phase 5 dive, they'll also have to manage the public and media, be a spokesperson and representative of the event, and handle the communications devices (and other electronics, including a live webcam). There's also the simple issue of safety... They will be responsible for managing the safety of the dive, although I don't imagine that portion to be demanding. We've got a pretty concrete plan which isn't leaving much room for safety problems to pop up.

...So no, it's not solo; although some of the time my "buddy" will be topside, just a few feet above me, rather than in the water with me.

I mean, after all, I know better than to solo dive... Right? Yeah... Sure... :rolleyes:

Have you tried Universities & Colleges. Several here in Fla have strong Oceanography depts, maybe they could help. Get some graduate student to make you a case study & no telling what help you could get.

Another wild idea, Jules Lagoon/resort in Key Largo. It's actually open seawater, but last week it was 89 degrees. It is a very protected semi-enclosed lagoon. They have facilities to keep people in the underwater hotel 24/7. It wouldn't be a huge stretch to support a diver. The down side is vis sucks.

We have enough Conchs down here I am sure we could come up with tanks, if you don't mind a mix of steel & al. Are you going to use a light Nitrox mix or straight air?

My previous offer of surface support if you do it in Fl. still holds. Good Luck.

SeaJay once bubbled...
Not to mention Phases 11 thru 15... Those are going to involve Gavin scooters. Many of them. And no, these phases do not involve caves.
You're not planning to dive the Lindberg route are you? :wacko:

Just remember, you can saturate as shallow as 20ft, and the open sea can be a VERY nasty place above 50ft.

AS you move thru your Phases you may have you sights set on oceans (just a guess - maybe I'm jumping to Phase 11+).

But should you have any needs in Asia or Australia for support divers, please just ask, I'd love to be involved in something as exciting as what you are dreaming up.

Cheers, =-)

I can't believe I'm saying anything about it at all, but y'all are on track.

There's no world record set yet for underwater distance.

...And for what I'm dreaming up, the English Channel would be a simple route. In fact, with a scooter, that could be done in around 10 hours or so with ease. Heck, I could do that today with the right sponsorship.

No... This would involve a much longer time underwater... That's why I'm going for a "long submergence" record first. If I prove that, then the distance thing should be easy... All I have to do is be mobile the whole time...

I respect what you are trying to achieve...

What level have you reached in diving? are you an instructor? I have some ideas for you if you are...

Also, what about the suturation level you will reach? what air mix are you breathing? will you have to stay in a chamber afterwards?

coliseum once bubbled...

What level have you reached in diving? are you an instructor? I have some ideas for you if you are...

I'm not.

I considered going that route for a while... The instructor who taught me many of my basics was predictably excited to take me to the instructor level.

However, at this point in my diving, I would prefer not to teach. I know that sounds strange to so many of you who think that instructing would be a dream job, but at least at this point, I'm quite busy building my own skills and have no desire to go back and help someone else with the basics... At least, not yet. I hope that doesn't sound too selfish.

What suggestions would you have had, if I were an instructor? I'm curious...

Also, what about the suturation level you will reach? what air mix are you breathing? will you have to stay in a chamber afterwards?

Great questions...

No, I will not have to chamber afterwards.

My max depth for Phases 1-5 will be the depth of the facility that I'm in... Probably 8-12 feet. Whatever facility I use, I will be sure that it does not exceed 20 feet in depth.

US Navy dive tables say that a diver can stay at 20' or less indefinitely without incurring a deco obligation. However, for the sake of a science not fully understood, I'll be draining the facility rather than surfacing, at the end of the dive. In other words, the "ascent" will be veeeeery slow, just so as to not tempt fate. :)

Phase 1-5 will be done on air. I don't see an increased safety margin with any other mix at that depth, and therefore cannot justify the additional step of obtaining EANx.

That might change, however, after Phase 1, if there is a legitimate difference in the way EANx makes me "feel" after the dive.

Disturbingly simple, isn't it? :) You'd think that a world record attempt would utilize the most far-out, coolest and most extraordinary gear... But my approach is to do it on the most well-known gear available... And that includes wet, standard gear, and air.

If you were an instructor, you could have entertained yourself in teaching students confined water diving (part of the money of their course could have been used as sponsorship for achieving your record as well as a cool thing for the students to say that their confined water dives were done by a world record holder!)

maybe you can also entertain yourself by doing stuff as scientific project maybe for NASA or something...

Why don't you talk to NASA and see if you can get something (NASA likes to help usually to get bonus points for obtaining better ratings and eventually higher budgets)... don't forget that astronaught training aslo occurs underwater...

or maybe you can get some Holywood production company to get you to do something for them which they can film?

Just some ideas for you...

good luck man... I will keep following up what you are up to, keep us posted,,,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom