Phil Foster/Obnoxious Fishermen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive down, fill a ballon med boyancy so it floats 10 feet above your head, add a small fish net, swim by and drag it to catch all the lines, once they all pull, cut the main ballon line. Or let me guess this is some Fed offense to fishing?

We were there this past Saturday and encountered people fishing off the beach. We didn't notice the lines until we were right on top of them. It is the first time I have seen anyone fishing off the beach . . .

We use the area for about 1 1/2 hours each day, they have it for 24 hours a day.
I think they have first rights to the area.
I do my best to swim around them.
They were there first and spend more time there.

I think we divers are entitled to mere 25ft of no fish zones for just 90min....Most fishermen I've met there are very friendly....but these guys were plain obnoxious

We use the area for about 1 1/2 hours each day, they have it for 24 hours a day.
I think they have first rights to the area.
I do my best to swim around them.
They were there first and spend more time there.

It was very difficult "just swim around" them. Their rods were planted way up the beach invisible if you entered east of the playground. If you knew the lines were in the water, you would have to swim dangerously close to the channel.

Also we were underwater from the start of our entry....not on the surface where you can see the topside activity

Joe

What about those who dive there other than slack high tide?

I've been there at all tide times. The tide has little effect if I am taking macro shots and down below the surge. I think fisherman should have to reel in their lines and have a 300' area where they are not allowed to fish when they see a dive flag coming!

Also we were underwater from the start of our entry....not on the surface where you can see the topside activity

Hence why I recommend to surface periodically to check to see where people are fishing.

There will often be fishermen on the western big bridge supports, on the fishing pier, and on the east span. There will also very often be fishermen all along the west side of the park, both north and south of the fishing pier.

It was very difficult "just swim around" them. Their rods were planted way up the beach invisible if you entered east of the playground. If you knew the lines were in the water, you would have to swim dangerously close to the channel.

Joe
You are saying that they cast past the moored boats out to approx. 100 yds (not ft. yds)? :confused:

If that is true, I believe it would be a casting record!

Hence why I recommend to surface periodically to check to see where people are fishing.

There will often be fishermen on the western big bridge supports, on the fishing pier, and on the east span. There will also very often be fishermen all along the west side of the park, both north and south of the fishing pier.
I agree. Additionally, I believe all dive courses (including OW) attempt to teach students conditional awareness. If they are diving a quarry or grotto or any other destination to scan the area first and take in all possible hazards, entry points, exit points etc.

You are saying that they cast past the moored boats out to approx. 100 yds (not ft. yds)? :confused:

If that is true, I believe it would be a casting record!

You could do it with a good surf rod and a 4-6 oz. weight, but then you wouldn't be fishing at Phil Foster.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom