Phil Foster/Obnoxious Fishermen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No you could not cast 100 yards with a 6 oz wieght and a good surf rod. You have not ran down a football field or shot in a bullseye match in a LONG time.

1 yard = 3 feet.

It is far far far. You might cast 35 yards fifty if you are ver very good 100 yards. Nope.

Well... I am AMAZED at the distance of the world record cast!! --

" that is the official world record in fly casting set by the American caster Steve Rajeff.
He has cast 248 feet (75,6 m) in Pretoria, South Africa in 1997"

I stand corrected in my observations. Again I was using my own ability to draw on what the very best can do and I was found to be in greatly lacking.

However 300' although claimed by some internet casters I found has never been Official which to me is only internet casting. Just like internet diving.. internet shooting.. internet running... pulls ups.. black belts.. and and 36 26 36

I spoke with a fisherman on the West fishing pier before my dive last week. He had a 9" parrotfish. I asked if they were good eating, he confirmed they are but he usually wants the bigger ones. He wasn't sure what the size limit was....
Another "Fisherman" was fishing for blackbirds with cheesepuffs as bait. Kinda entertaining....
There were a few legitimate fisherman landing Spanish Mackerel as well.

I have had some incidents with the fishermen on the pier by me. They just have no luck on those days, and when I am either going in or coming out they will start screaming that I am scaring the fish away. Yet it is more along the lines of there were no fish around there at the time, and the next time I was in there I just tapped on their hook with my knife a few times, let them reel it in, and get nothing. Then the next cast I cut the hook and take it. Not that I am being any more correct then them, but I have said to them not to speak untill they really know what happens to the fish when I am under there.

... in there I just tapped on their hook with my knife a few times, let them reel it in, and get nothing. Then the next cast I cut the hook and take it. Not that I am being any more correct then them, but I have said to them not to speak untill they really know what happens to the fish when I am under there.
Wow, I just don't understand why fishermen don't have respect for a diver after that type of interaction...:wink:

I have had some incidents with the fishermen on the pier by me. They just have no luck on those days, and when I am either going in or coming out they will start screaming that I am scaring the fish away. Yet it is more along the lines of there were no fish around there at the time, and the next time I was in there I just tapped on their hook with my knife a few times, let them reel it in, and get nothing. Then the next cast I cut the hook and take it. Not that I am being any more correct then them, but I have said to them not to speak untill they really know what happens to the fish when I am under there.

Aren't you afraid of snag hooks or bridge gaffs, it just takes one loon.

Aren't you afraid of snag hooks or bridge gaffs, it just takes one loon.
Well as far as the hooks go there are hooks hanging all over the place. The bottom is loaded with rocks and lines that divers have attached to different attractions, so there are fishing lines that get hooked down there and break off. I have gotten myself a nice collection of hooks and lures from there. As far as any of the fishermen knowing where I am under, the only time the water is that clear is early spring, and even then it is difficult. They can't look for bubbles because the current takes them about 150 yards away by the time they make the surface.

Well as far as the hooks go there are hooks hanging all over the place. The bottom is loaded with rocks and lines that divers have attached to different attractions, so there are fishing lines that get hooked down there and break off. I have gotten myself a nice collection of hooks and lures from there. As far as any of the fishermen knowing where I am under, the only time the water is that clear is early spring, and even then it is difficult. They can't look for bubbles because the current takes them about 150 yards away by the time they make the surface.
I don't think that divers have had much to do with attaching the hooks to different areas... at least the divers I know.

The water in most areas on the west side where fishermen are fishing is 10-15' deep and fairly clear... It's usually top-to-bottom viz. They can see divers all year round. Even with a current, a divers bubbles might make it 10-15' away from them when they hit the surface

The water on the east side hits 22' and again viz is usually top-to-bottom year round. Most divers are seen from above by the fishermen year round... and again the bubbles won't make it 150 yards away before they hit the surface... 10-20' in a strong current... maybe.
----

As a diver who dives there often, I honestly have no idea of what you are talking about here... :confused:

I don't think that divers have had much to do with attaching the hooks to different areas... at least the divers I know.

The water in most areas on the west side where fishermen are fishing is 10-15' deep and fairly clear... It's usually top-to-bottom viz. They can see divers all year round. Even with a current, a divers bubbles might make it 10-15' away from them when they hit the surface

The water on the east side hits 22' and again viz is usually top-to-bottom year round. Most divers are seen from above by the fishermen year round... and again the bubbles won't make it 150 yards away before they hit the surface... 10-20' in a strong current... maybe.
----

As a diver who dives there often, I honestly have no idea of what you are talking about here... :confused:
I am talking about a place near me, it is actually two bridges, an old one cut off, and a new one, the depth gets to about 45' and the vis is about 10' on a good day. The fishing hooks are from the fishermen that have snagged their lines on the various underwater debris and divers marker lines. Our bubbles make it 150 yards away because we are also right outside the inlet to the bay. If we are lucky we have only a 15 minute period with no current. Other then that you go in and drift the current to the bridge, and you swim back in, the tide has then changed and pulls you back to your starting point.

I am talking about a place near me, it is actually two bridges, an old one cut off, and a new one, the depth gets to about 45' and the vis is about 10' on a good day. The fishing hooks are from the fishermen that have snagged their lines on the various underwater debris and divers marker lines. Our bubbles make it 150 yards away because we are also right outside the inlet to the bay. If we are lucky we have only a 15 minute period with no current. Other then that you go in and drift the current to the bridge, and you swim back in, the tide has then changed and pulls you back to your starting point.
Thanks for clearing that up :wink:

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom