Philippine Solo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

love2godeep

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I saw a thread here about women who solo, so I thought I'd share my experience....

I never thought I'd do any intentional solo diving but recently I spent a couple weeks on a diving island in the Philippines. I have done shore dives there so many times, and I was tired of trailing behind the dive guy, going wherever he wanted to go at whatever speed he wanted. (He was very nice, and accommodation, but still....) Finally, with his blessing and encouragement, I got a tank and just went out on my own.... a nice gentle shore dive, mostly in the 20-40 foot range. I spent 30 minutes just hanging around a coral head, more time watching a frog fish (he was as chill as I was LOL), and more time hanging with about 14 lionfish on a submerged palm tree root. It was so relaxing and rejuvenating!

The dive guy did go out to check on me the first time, which I thought was nice of him. I guess I passed the test, as he had no concerns about my going out again--and he didn't check on me again.

After that, I went out by myself each morning early. I did a lot of work with my compass, which was also something almost impossible to do with a group. I made it a point to never stay more than an hour, and to always come back with 1000-1500 psi.

I can't even describe how fabulous this experience was. I wouldn't be so comfortable solo diving in an unfamiliar location, but this was perfect for me in this place. I am having some serious withdrawal now that I'm back home.

Hi there
Your story resonates with me. Last March I bought a house overlooking a good shore dive site here in Wellington NZ. I have a semi regular buddy and a few occassional buddies and if the conditions are good often a couple of us dive - but if I can't round someone up I love to go out myself and just do my own thing.

It is liberating, you can work on what matters to you, whether it is compass or geting the macro lens dialed in. I agree with your view that being comfortable on the site matters - do you have any potential to solo dive in the NE?

Alison

I would do the same. What a dream to live where you can dive whenever you want! We live on a lake but viz is poor and the water is really cold so it has zero diving appeal to me. I like diving, but it isn't an end in itself for me.

I am very happy with what I do for a living, but if I had another life, I think I'd be a dive instructor. I've helped with discover dives a few times and I really enjoy turning people on to diving.

BTW, I'll be in Australia in January, on business. Before I come home, I plan to dive the Great Barrier Reef for a few days. Do you have any recommendations?

I would do the same. What a dream to live where you can dive whenever you want! We live on a lake but viz is poor and the water is really cold so it has zero diving appeal to me. I like diving, but it isn't an end in itself for me.

I am very happy with what I do for a living, but if I had another life, I think I'd be a dive instructor. I've helped with discover dives a few times and I really enjoy turning people on to diving.

BTW, I'll be in Australia in January, on business. Before I come home, I plan to dive the Great Barrier Reef for a few days. Do you have any recommendations?

I suggest you have a poke around down on the Austalia forum, it was a try dive off the GBR that first turned me on to diving but I don't get there regularly enough to have specific recommendations. Check that January isn't going to be stinger jelly fish season, before you commit to anything.

If you can do it a liveaboard is likley to give you better results than a day trip, having said that all by one of my excursions on the reef were day trips.

Have fun

Alison

A lot of times I felt as if I was diving solo in the Philippines. My so called buddy would take off on his own. Sometimes the divemaster would have to take someone up after 10 minutes or so and I had no problem staying down by myself. I feel very comfortable in the ocean and being alone at 40-50 feet is quite a unique feeling.

Hi there

It is liberating, you can work on what matters to you, whether it is compass or geting the macro lens dialed in. I agree with your view that being comfortable on the site matters -

Alison

I am very fortunate in living close to a popular dive spot here in Perth. The parking and access to the water is excellent and it a very easy shore dive of about 14m max. I go there often by myself just to take macro shots and just generally practice things that I need to improve...helicopter turns, back finning etc. It is so relaxing and, as you say...liberating.

Cheers

Joe

I did my first dive on SCUBA in 1961 solo (only one tank and reg in our group so we alternated) and have dived largely solo ever since. I like the ability to dive whenever conditions are good. However, I don't tell anyone else they are ready to dive solo unless I know their diving skills personally and have observed how they react under potential disaster scenarios.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom