Photo of Destin Jetties entry point?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its actually kinda neat down near the point on a really sunny day... Shadows come over you from the boats just above you... and of course your brain is rattling from the noise.

Things would have been much easier if I were spoonfed this stuff when I started diving... I wonder if I would have had just as much fun though?

Tell me about it! I had a blast starting [http://www.southwestscuba.com]Southwest Scuba[/url] and travelling to all the various dives sites in the southwest! And I'm having a blast finding new sites in the panhandle...I'm just not publishing those... :wink:

Now Rob! That's just plain mean! I like it!

What about diving under the Destin Bridge? Is it worth it? I have dove the jetties a couple of years ago and was thinking about doing a dive under the bridge this summer while we are in Destin in June.

You can dive under the bridge. There can be a lot of current there. I anchor off to the side and in this case leave my wife aboard to monitor the anchor. Do not anchor up in the channel, you may get a ticket and besides it is rude. I have seen grouper and all sorts of fish down there. The place I dive is the two barriers along the main pass channel under the bridge. It is deep there to stay clear of boats. I prefer to anchor on the east side as opposed to the west. I have dove it from my kayak as well, towing the yak. Again, it is important to stay away from the channel as it can be very busy. There is a lot of boat traffic here, be aware that some people will become annoyed if you and your dive flag block them in this area of free navigation.

Years ago I took a large grouper there with a homemade Hawaiian sling. That was before current game fish laws, I believe it is illegal now. N

N

What about diving under the Destin Bridge? Is it worth it? I have dove the jetties a couple of years ago and was thinking about doing a dive under the bridge this summer while we are in Destin in June.

There have been some past threads on diving there.... but I've never done it.

It must not be as popular or the extra boat activity must keep people from it.

Here's a trip report on the Destin Bridge

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/de...report-destin-bridge-west-side-11-2-08-a.html

We always free-dove the bridge when I was younger and there is a lot of life out there. But like everyone is saying be careful of the boats and remember not everyone knows what the bubbles on the surface are!

Do you guys dive the side where boats go or the beach side?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom