Photo Processing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LR and shoot RAW...

So LR4 or the latest version for the Canon S90; what about the Sealife that does not shoot in RAW format? Is LR still a good processing system or is there something better out there and if so what makes it that much better than LR?

Thanks...

You can do anything to a jpeg that you can can do to a raw file, the difference is just that the end result will be better with a raw file.
Jpeg files are compressed, which means some of the data is lost and the file size is smaller than the uncompressed, all data raw file. The upside to jpeg is that it will fit more of them on a memory card and they are written faster (as they are smaller), but the downside is you have less data to work with if you're trying to post process the file, giving you a lower quality end result. This is more true the farther away from pristine the picture is when captured..

you can do anything to a jpeg that you can can do to a raw file, the difference is just that the end result will be better with a raw file.
Jpeg files are compressed, which means some of the data is lost and the file size is smaller than the uncompressed, all data raw file. The upside to jpeg is that it will fit more of them on a memory card and they are written faster (as they are smaller), but the downside is you have less data to work with if you're trying to post process the file, giving you a lower quality end result. This is more true the farther away from pristine the picture is when captured..
thanks ...

Lightroom is much cheaper than Photoshop
You can get Photoshop Elements 12 at Best Buy for $69.99, while Lightroom 5 is $149.99.

I have a newer Dell laptop with Windows 8. Also an older desktop with Windows 7.

Lightroom is much cheaper than Photoshop and there are a bunch of photo editors that are much cheaper (some infinitely cheaper) that can work. LR 5 is much better than 4 and 4 is better than 3 ...
Most serious folks that I know use LR for most of what they do. Download the free version and play and see if you like it.
What computer do you use?
The advantage of the most up to date LR is that it supports newer cameras; older versions not so much.

Bill

Hello Everyone! I'm new to this field and I read daily papers a great deal, however I don't know yet where to begin and in what manner would I be able to get the learning, for example, if I utilize Matlab or C/C++/ Open CV to research it ; or the best books I ought to peruse.

Tigerman, which calibration software do you use? Are you on a Mac or PC?
R

Back
Top Bottom