Phuket diving? Where to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ko Haa is very good and can be reached from Ko Phi Phi or Ko Lanta...are you committed to Phuket ? ...if not consider the other alternatives.

Yes it would depend on the dive site. What dive sites on Koh Racha Noi would you recommend? Banana Bay was the pick of the bunch for me.

Racha Noi South and Harruby wreck at Racha Yai where much less impressive. In fact I would say disappointing. An opinion echoed by fellow divers in my group who unfortunately had only one day in Thailand to dive.
Racha Noi in general: low season means diving on the east coast, high season on the west coast.

Nicest sites IMO: North Corner, Plateau, South Tip, all rarely dived by the main operators. On the west coast is Maritta's Rock, dived a bit more frequently but not much as well. What you call 'Racha Noi South' was probably a divesite also known as East Coast Bay, which apart from some corals in the south really is boring IMO. Good visibility though :)

Most of the diveshops here don't even know the better sites, since they have always worked with the 'cattle boats', and these boats don't go to these sites.

Good information :D

I will have to revisit and try the site's you recommend. :thumb:

Hi everyone! I just registered in order to post here.

I'll be in Phuket - at the Andaman Sands, to be precise - in very early July, looking to spend a half or full day diving. I'm looking for recommendations on where to go this time of year. It looks to me like Racha Noi & Yai are the likely bets; is Noi so much better than Yai that I should definitely go there? Or would Yai be pretty much fine? "None of the above" recommendations are also welcome!

I am a novice diver; I've also read that Racha Noi is better for more experience divers. Should I avoid it?

(What are my chances of seeing manta rays and/or whale sharks at this time of year? That would be the thrill of a lifetime.)

Thanks! As you can imagine, as a guy who really only gets to dive like once a year while on vacation, I'm eager to get the best experience I can; I'm lucky to have found this site where I can get some expert opinions.

- Alex

Alex, where is the Andaman Sands? I have never heard of it.

1/2 day diving is not possible, it will always be a full daytrip. Fir a novice diver Racha Yai and Racha Noi will be fine. Yes, there are more advanced divesites at Racha Noi, but there is always a choice there, stay closer to the reef or go out in the blue and depths. Very small chance of manta ray and/or whaleshark, but there always is a chance.

Personally I'd recommend the combination trip to Racha Noi and Racha Yai. On the trip to Racha Yai alone you'd be doing 2 dives, the combination trip will be 3 dives and the extra charge is really not that much. Plus the diving area is different, so you get more experience in different environments.
Phi Phi might also be an option, but that would depend on exactly how novice you are and how long it has been since you have been diving. Unfortunately I see too many really inexperienced divers at Phi Phi divesites these days, which is a dangerous development IMO.

Thanks Steven! I'm super novice, dude, I'm one of those idiots who shows up somewhere once a year and has forgotten how to do a safety check. I'll stick with the Rachas and pray for big creatures.

I got the name slightly wrong - it's Andaman White Beach Resort, right here. We're hoping it'll be a little removed from the biggest tourist areas.

Yes, you are way removed from the biggest tourist areas Besides the advantages that also means there will be a surcharge for you for the diving because of the additional transfer costs, count on around 800 Baht. Also count on a transfer of about 1 hour one way, maybe even a bit longer.

Steven, are you available for a three-dive day trip to Racha Noi & Racha Yai on July 4? Your website says no, but I figured I'd check.

The other shop I'm looking it is Super Divers, and they apparently don't do the Rachas on Fridays; they do Anemone Reef & Shark Point & Koh Doc Mai instead. If you're not available, would you say those are perfectly good substitutes? Or should I find one of the many other operations that are undoubtedly going to the Rachas on July 4?

Thanks for the tip about transport surcharges!

Yes, we have an option to Racha Noi and Racha Yai that day. Shark Point and Anemone Reef (we have the same trip option that day as well BTW) are very nice divesites, but the problem is visibility there is unpredictable and the currents can be quite strong. With your experience I would not recommend them.

I'll get back to you via PM.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom