Phuket/Similan Diving trip planning help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wystiria

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Myself and Husband will be doing an REI adventure in northern Thailand in march 08' we would like to follow up our 10 days of backpacking, kayacking, and cycling with some diving from Phuket.

I really am not sure I want to do a liveaboard only because 1. we haven't been to to this area and want to see some of it and 2. we will most likley have a non diver or 2 with us.

These were my thoughts, we will be there from 3/10(mon) thru that friday. we can do a few things

1 - do a few days on land in a hotel (suggestions please) see the area and then do a short liveaboard to the similans (suggestions please) and our friends can fend for them selves.

2 - do a 4 day liveaboard (suggestions please) and really make this a dive destination. But basically tell our friends they are on their own (which might just be fine after 10 days in the woods)

Help me out please I know i have time so I am reseraching like MAD!

Both are possible, and both are good options.

However, with a few non-divers, if I were you I would choose for option 1.

At this page you will find a lot of liveaboard boats. For short trips most suitable IMO (the best liveaboard experience because there won't be too many people on the boat and the guests won't be arriving and departing every day): ScubaCat. You can also consider Similan Pro Dive and of course the best known of these boats, South Siam.

I would recommend to stay in Kata, close to the pier from where the boats depart, lovely beach, good restaurants of plenty of choice in accommodation in all price classes.

Daytrips: all sites are possible every day of the week, so that is not going to be a problem.

If you do decide to go on a liveaboard for 4 days/4 nights (giving you lovely diving at Similans, Koh Bon, Koh Tachai and Richelieu Rock at a very relaxed pace): boats in all price and comfort classes are possible. Here you will find a good choice.

You might want to consider taking the trip down to Hin Daeng/Hin Muang instead of to the Similans. It's a shorter trip (3 days/2 nights) so that might fit into your schedule better. It's good diving and might not be quite as crowded.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom