Pics and Video - Destin 10.18.08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SPG3K

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Here are some shots and some clips in a compilation from my recent trip out to the Gulf. Visibility was actually a lot better than what comes through on the video, also, my conversion software to FLV really destroys the original video.

You can see a few small flounder and some juvenile groupers, and several lionshead/lionsmane jellies.

During the one clip of the jelly when the camera jerks around - it's because I noticed I was hung up in the 6' long tentacles I couldn't originally see.

Criticism/Comments welcome. Please be gentle - this is the first real trip and first real shots/video I've taken with the new setup. My strobe broke about 6 days before the trip, so most of the shots are built-in flash only, and the current really kept my novice UW photography skills at bay for the most part, so none of the shots have crystal clear focus points at 100% crop.

Video

Pictures

Lessons Learned:

Slow down on panning the video camera to catch everything your eye can see - I almost got a little motion sickness the first time I reviewed all the footage.

The G9 built-in flash burns out macro shots, BIG TIME.

Fish will not generally sit still long enough to take macro shots.

Also - a funny story.

I was filming my friend playing with a few little hermit crabs, and he points off to my left. I turn around quickly, and evidently I startled the same purple trigger that is in one of the clips, and he quite literally head-butted my camera lens. My buddy heard the "clink" and looked over and nearly spit his reg out laughing.

Stupid triggers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom