Pinnacle merino-lined suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CUunderH2O

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,

Just wore my new Pinnacle Elite (merino-lined torso) 7/5 semi-dry fullsuit this weekend on 2 dives (68 degree water). It was nice & warm; fits great, looks great. I know I'll need the hooded vest for fall & early spring diving, but this one is great for mid-summer! It was also nice to go from 2 layers of 7mm (farmer jane/jacket) to one layer of 7/5 -- I managed to cut down on the amount of weight I needed, big time!

Is this suit really made with Merino wool? I can't imagine how wet wool would smell after a good quarry dive - or a little bit of topside 'glow'. Tell me it's just a trade name!

Mike,

I wasn't sure about it myself, but someone else had ordered one before I got mine and I saw how it was made (it's somewhat like the terry lining in some suits, but less bulky and not itchy) It doesn't smell like wet wool, either (I guess the neoprene smell overpowers all). It's glued(?) to the neoprene, so it doesn't sag when wet. I didn't even find that it got heavier when it absorbed the water. The ankle, wrist and neck seals are very nice, they stick very well.

CUunderH2O:
Mike,

I wasn't sure about it myself, but someone else had ordered one before I got mine and I saw how it was made (it's somewhat like the terry lining in some suits, but less bulky and not itchy) It doesn't smell like wet wool, either (I guess the neoprene smell overpowers all). It's glued(?) to the neoprene, so it doesn't sag when wet. I didn't even find that it got heavier when it absorbed the water. The ankle, wrist and neck seals are very nice, they stick very well.
Great suits..........they are made in my home town and used to be sold in NZ under the name " neptune", they are getting some good press at the momment and also have a few new styles comming out {from what I've heard and also seen when I went back home on holiday}
Everyone here thinks that there an American company.......little they know that it's a "kiwi" thing and that the quality is equal to anything being produce in the USA and beats the asian stuff hands down.

I was getting a lot a compliments on it (maybe because it fit me well? :) But it really is a nice suit. They also make non-merino lined suits, in case anyone wondered. I know a lot of people were saying they didn't like the fullsuits with back zippers because of feeling too restricted in the neck area, but I don't feel it with this suit; the neck seal is very comfortable and adjustable. I had trouble finding a suit to fit me, and Pinnacle saved me from having to shell out even more for Hyperstretch, although it's by no means a cheap suit.

I just purchased one of these in Florida last week. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet but am impressed with the construction and reassured by these testiments. I may try it out this weekend at a local lake.

Yeah, the suit is very well constructed, with reinforcements in all the right places, as well as a 10mm back zipper flap which adds some nice padding in the right place. Time will tell as to how it will hold up in the long run, but I'm feeling optimistic. Check out their site at pinnacleaquatics.com

How much weight did you cut down? I just purchased one of these suits today and am wondering how much weight I can shed as I used to dive with a two piece farmer john (henderson cold core 7mm ).

I will probably start off with removing 4lbs and go from there by handing off weight to my buddy at the end of my safety stop. Does anyone else have any ideas about difference in the amount of weight going from a two piece to a one piece?

Thanks

CUunderH2O:
Hi all,

Just wore my new Pinnacle Elite (merino-lined torso) 7/5 semi-dry fullsuit this weekend on 2 dives (68 degree water). It was nice & warm; fits great, looks great. I know I'll need the hooded vest for fall & early spring diving, but this one is great for mid-summer! It was also nice to go from 2 layers of 7mm (farmer jane/jacket) to one layer of 7/5 -- I managed to cut down on the amount of weight I needed, big time!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom