Pinnacle Zippers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

twinkles

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am a big fan of the Pinnacle Marino lined suits. I have a 3, 5, and 7 plus a core warmer and hooded vest.

But one disappointment I have had, has been in the zippers. I have had to have the 3 mil repaired once when teeth fell out of a leg zipper. And I sent back two of the 7 mils for zippers that kept sticking before finding one with a zipper that actually worked.

Is Pinnacle having quality issues or is it just me?

Gosh, I have a 3mm and 7mm and my husband has a 3mm and 5mm and we've had no zipper problems. Maybe you've had bad luck or we've had good luck..... Glad to know that Pinnacle at least stood behind their products and made things right.

Broke my zipper on the first day of diving my new 7mm merino elastoprene. Brought it back to the shop and they sent it to Pinnacle. They replaced it with a new 2009 suit with a new type of zipper (called a RIRI zipper). My experience, plus yours, and others you can read about on this site leads me to believe these are not isolated incidents. I would like to think they changed to this zipper because it is more robust but I can not say that for sure. I do know it keeps the water from moving around better than the old one. Time will tell how well it holds up. I am still glad I bought the suit and chose Pinnacle because of their reputation for making their customers happy.

Sooo funny. I made similar posts and comments just recently. I received the 3rd Elasto-Merino - not dove it yet. Folks have mentioned waxing the zipper and exercising it first. Sports Chalet (selling 7mm for $280!) gave me their dry-suit zipper wax kit. I applied it and exercised the zipper many times. Waited another day and repeated the process again. The zipper now moves much, much better.

Maybe you can try that. Good luck.

They have been changing to better zippers very recently on suits with known problems. The Kodiak is using a new zipper than the originals.

I just bought a Kodiak with the RiRi zipper. Should I be trying to get it replaced by Pinnacle then? If its a problem waiting to happen I dont want to have the suit break on a boat dive somewhere.

I just bought a Kodiak with the RiRi zipper. Should I be trying to get it replaced by Pinnacle then? If its a problem waiting to happen I dont want to have the suit break on a boat dive somewhere.

They only replace when/if it breaks....Not all of the suits have had a problem. I would put it on and off a few times, if it doesnt break right away, you should be fine :wink: if it does, they will replace with new zipper style. I have a post on here somewhere for the Kodiak that shows both new and old zipper style...

I have gone through 3 pinnacle suits with zipper problems. First 2 were EXtremes, the zippers de-laminated from the neoprene . The 3rd was a Kodiak that the teeth pulled off when I had it open. Lakes froze over before I could dive the new Kodiak. Pinnacle seems to be standing behind them , altho it takes some time for shipping and processing. I was glad I had a back-up suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom